LyleW's C-54

Primarily the Revell of Germany C-54 Skymaster in 1/72 scale. But, any c-54 is welcome. Come one, come all.

Date: February 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020. But, let's just have some fun and build this classic.
speedgraflex

Re: LyleW's C-54

Post by speedgraflex »

The Revell photos are interesting, though. I was wondering if this was the kit used for the box art itself, neatly done work. I agree, though, about the usefulness. Even though it is 1/72, camera phones will focus on small details.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

So Lyle... didja get the replacement part yet?
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Yep. They arrived yesterday. I’ve been putzing around on the wings and the Allison engine. Just haven’t had enough give-a-hoot to post on them.

The replacement parts look just like the kit parts, so I don’t think I damaged things on the first attempt. White glue first this time.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Looking forward to the progress pics and the recovery on the damaged parts Lyle. Hang in there lil' buddy...…. :shoutout:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks, Joe!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I think I have proved my believe the instructions are incorrect. Assembled per instructions and part 158 the rod sticks out past the attachment point.

New parts, assembled as I think the assembly is shown in the next step

Somebody prove me wrong....But, I did use CA for the tricky parts so I can de-bond if needed....
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I can't comment on whether it's correct or not Lyle as I don't have the kit in front of me- but it does look much better.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Lyle... that’s how it’s suppose to be assembled. You did good. :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks gents. It is drying until tomorrow. I did use some red tube on a few spots.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

This thing is turning in to a beast. A lot of self inflicted pain, though. If you test fit 10 times, do 15 before you glue anything. Kind of strange for me in that I would test fit pieces and they dropped in perfectly, seemingly to lock as they should. Then when removed to glue in place, the two-year old throwing a temper tantrum comes out. Inserting the interior cylinder was "easy" and it appeared to drop in as it should. . . . cockpit area would not close. Finally got it for the most part. Oh well. I'm having fun, huh?

Notice the brighter light on the right of the wings? That is a new 150w LED bulb in my lamp. Guess I need another for the other side....huh?

Return to “C-54 Skymaster”