BlackSheep's choice...

Nightfighters, Eyes in the Skies and Spooks Group Build
Stikpusher

Re: BlackSheep's choice...

Post by Stikpusher »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Spent a couple hours online looking for new aftermarket cowlings for this bird for the moment. Why? One side the cowl flaps are molded in (I’ll post pics later), the other has the full cowling with flaps. If I assembled as is OOB, it wouldn’t look right. :headbang:
That’s because the kit as molded has one engine fully exposed with access panels opened as if undergoing maintenance. It’s more than just the cowl flaps. But yes, there is AM stuff available to address that and match the stuff up.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I know. The Revell kit is the same mold as the old Monogram kit I did in my early teen years. Back then I didn't care how it came out. Today, it's aggravating. LOL!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Good luck with the modifications, Tom.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

This one is at a standstill (as is the Mirage kit as well) until things quiet down a bit on the home front. First, I’ll be practicing preshading method on a mule kit per advice from Fermis. He’s been a great help for me on what and how to do it.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

BAH!!! I'm shelving this one! The more I look at the issues with this kit, the more I want to put a hammer to it. I don't even remember this this kit being this bad when it was originally the Monogram kit back in my youth years. Hell, back then it went together beautifully. I was a fun build back then. Now? Not so much... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Hopefully the upcoming Syrcon 2021 show next weekend will yield me something. If not, I've found a couple on eBay I may pull the trigger on. Two are on my radar (both vintage kits) - Revell P-70 Nighthawk and the Monogram P-38 Lightning. (this kit has the Nightfighter option.)

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Those molds are from 1974 so yeah, they've seen better days. There's always the Hobby Boss one. I have one in my stash.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Mark Buechler, Flightline Engineering, used to make a real nice set for the P-61 in 1/48. Unfortunately it seems his store is closed at the moment due to illness.

https://www.flightlineengineering.com/
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Medicman71 wrote:Those molds are from 1974 so yeah, they've seen better days. There's always the Hobby Boss one. I have one in my stash.
Yeah that’s about right. Built mine back in ‘75 or ‘76.

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

It is official. The P-61 Black Widow I’ve been working on has been binned indefinitely. :Bur2:

My new choice is the Revell 1/72 scale P-38 Lightning - an oldie kit I bought this at Syrcon this past Sunday. This kit gives me 2 choices to build it.... the P-38J or the P-38M Nightfighter.

Started some minor assembly progress this evening and will post pics later.

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: BlackSheep's choice... P-38M Lightning Nightfighter

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Pics of minor assembly progress made last night. First, the box cover of kit:

With that being said, aside from the instruction guide, it still had a couple original advertisement flyers inside. Who remembers seeing this Revell Official Master Modelers Club Membership application in their kits back then? :giggles:

Oh wait... let's not forget a chance to win a Custom Van?

Now the assembly progress made. Installed the rear canopy cowl for the Nightfighter version

Engines and Radar nose pod...

Drop tanks...

Pilot seat with radar instrument panel on back of seat. Strange that this didn't include a seat for the radar man behind pilot seat. May have to do a little research on that.

The kit did not have a complete decal sheet. Apparently they only took the US star insignias. :headbang: I may have some spares I could use, Otherwise, I'll have to order a set somewhere for a 1/72 scale P-38 Lightning.
Last edited by BlackSheep214 on Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Nightfighters, Eyes in the Skies and Spooks Group Build”