Revell's new F 102A problem

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Revell's new F 102A problem

Post by wjkunert »

I recently purchased Revell's recently released F 102A which I intended to do as a Soesterberg 102 S/N 56-1043. The kit advertises that it has case X wings which were used up to S/N 56-1317. The kit actually contains case XX wings. The difference is that case X wing tips flared slightly upward and were basically flat. Case XX wings roll downward at the tips-they actually continue the curve of the leading edge. I emailed them about the wing to see if they can get me the correct wing.

Revell has acknowledged their mistake and will be sending a set of case X wings as soon as they can be molded-probably about a month. This indicates that all the kits have the wrong wing.
  When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Re: Revell's new F 102A problem

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

To bad you have to wait. I would really like to see a Wolfhounds build. I lived next to Soesterberg when the F-15's where stationed there.
ImageImageImageImageImage
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Post by wjkunert »

BorgR3mc0 wrote:To bad you have to wait. I would really like to see a Wolfhounds build. I lived next to Soesterberg when the F-15's where stationed there.
I was stationed there from 60 to 64 when the dueces had the red white and blue tails. The other 3 squadrons in our group had similar paint jobs. Hahn had yellow and black, Bitburg had blue and white and Ramstein had red and white. Shortly after I left they took off the stripes and went to a single green stripe horizontally on the vertical fin. The colorful birds looked better.
  When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Post by wjkunert »

The case X wing for my F 102A came today. Revell's customer service is pretty decent because these wing had to be molded then, I assume, be shipped to the states. I don't know how many people notified them that the kit had the wrong wing but I can't imagine it was too many. Their response was pretty good. This new 102 seems to be improved over the earlier version. The fit is better and the decal sheet is much improved. It has lots of stencils the earlier kit didn't have. I got my Soesterberg F 15 done and soon I'll have the Soesterberg 102 done.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Revell acknowledged their mistake right away and spread the word all over the internet and Facebook. They said they'd replace the wings at no cost for those who had the wrong ones. Gotta give them props for manning up to the mistake and letting everyone know. Can't say that for most other model companies.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Nice move, Revell! :shoutout:

Return to “Modeling Discussion”