Have Glass Grey FS36170

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Have Glass Grey FS36170

Post by wjkunert »

I've started painting some of the many doors on my Meng F 35A. I'm brush painting Mission Models MMP-083 Have Glass Grey. The paint brushes beautifully but what surprised me is that it appears to have the metallic component in the paint. If you're doing a Have Glass finished aircraft you should look into this paint.
  When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.
Stikpusher

Re: Have Glass Grey FS36170

Post by Stikpusher »

I have an F-22 in my stash and the paint is one of the reasons. I'll have to get me some of the Mission Models Have Glass Gray paint for it. And perhaps some decals. The markings in the kit are not for line birds, my favorite type.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

:hmm: Yeah I too need that paint color for my F-22 and F-35.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

You can also take a look at Mr. Paint MRP-278 Matte Varnish, its a clear with the metallic flakes in it to replicate the Have Glass finish. For those who dont want to use smelly paint and need the acrylic, Mission Models may be the way to go.
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Post by Scruffy »

I am not sure that the Mission Models paint would work on the F-22 :hmm:
The Mission Models paint is basically FS 36170 Grey with metallic particles in it making it a metallic version of FS 36170, it looks okay after a clear coat.
The F-22's primary colors are FS36173 and FS 36251 Neutral Grey and Aggressor Grey, so you would need to use the MRP Have Glass clear cote over it. I have also seen articles where the builder used a clear coat mixed with Alclad metallic paint to over spray the F-22 to give it the metallic sheen.
I have the MRP Have Glass clear coat, but have not tested it out yet, I probably will on the F-35 and if it looks promising then use it on the F-22.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Looking forward to seeing the results. I have both in the stash.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Scruffy wrote:I am not sure that the Mission Models paint would work on the F-22 :hmm:
The Mission Models paint is basically FS 36170 Grey with metallic particles in it making it a metallic version of FS 36170, it looks okay after a clear coat.
The F-22's primary colors are FS36173 and FS 36251 Neutral Grey and Aggressor Grey, so you would need to use the MRP Have Glass clear cote over it. I have also seen articles where the builder used a clear coat mixed with Alclad metallic paint to over spray the F-22 to give it the metallic sheen.
I have the MRP Have Glass clear coat, but have not tested it out yet, I probably will on the F-35 and if it looks promising then use it on the F-22.
The Raptor sure looks to have a three tone scheme, as here...

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Modeling Discussion”