Kitty Hawk 1/48 F-101B

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Kitty Hawk 1/48 F-101B

Post by wjkunert »

My 101B arrived today and overall looks to be a decent kit except for the instructions. Position of small parts is vague, no info on any of the various lights on the aircraft, and some of their color info is way off. They would have you paint the bottom surface of the aircraft white instead of ADC grey.. The fold out decal placement illustrations are good. I guess working from ZM and Tamiya plans has spoiled me. I do think it will build into a pretty decent kit. Many dealers still show the kit as advanced order due out in July. so I don't know how I got so lucky.
They have one 101B in bare metal finish which is something I didn't know was ever done. I'll have to check on that one. It shows it as being from the 437th FIS in 1967.
  When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.
Stikpusher

Re: Kitty Hawk 1/48 F-101B

Post by Stikpusher »

I am curious to see how this kit will compare to the old Monogram F-101B. Aside from raised panel lines and “some modeling skills required”, it is a nice kit. The cockpit, wheel wells, flap wells, and engine areas are very nicely detailed on the Monogram offering.

And yes, some F-101Bs did enter service in bare metal... just like some early F-102s. I think that it was rapidly replaced by the ADC Gray.

I plan on building my Monogram 101 in NMF one day.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

From the things I've read, keep your Monogram Voodoos.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote:I am curious to see how this kit will compare to the old Monogram F-101B. Aside from raised panel lines and “some modeling skills required”, it is a nice kit. The cockpit, wheel wells, flap wells, and engine areas are very nicely detailed on the Monogram offering.

And yes, some F-101Bs did enter service in bare metal... just like some early F-102s. I think that it was rapidly replaced by the ADC Gray.

I plan on building my Monogram 101 in NMF one day.
Carlos! That is no B.S. a great photo! Wow!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Post by wjkunert »

Medicman71 wrote:From the things I've read, keep your Monogram Voodoos.
I haven't seen a Kitty Hawk 101B review as it was just released last month. I saw on 101A/C review that wasn't real favorable and another that was pretty decent. From reading them it appears that the 101B might have been modified to eliminate some of the fit issues. I'll let you know as I get into it.
Here is a link to a thread on a Kitty Hawk F-101A/C build. He doesn't seem to be having much problems with fit. It's an interesting read if the aircraft interests you.
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/ind ... doo%C2%BB/
Last edited by wjkunert on Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Post by wjkunert »

Stikpusher wrote: Image
This one is shown as a aircraft as it was in 1967. I doubt there were many, if any, NMF 101B's that late in their service life.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I think that the year is a goof in their printing or research. Here is a link to a photo thread on F-101Bs including that squadron in NMF. They were based at Hamilton AFB in CA between 1961 to 1964.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/ind ... 363-f-101/
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Post by wjkunert »

Stik

The link comes up photos not found.
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Re: Kitty Hawk 1/48 F-101B + sprues

Post by wjkunert »

Here are some KH 101B sprue shots. One of the major complaints of the 101A/C kit was the severe dimples in the speed brakes. This kit has some but they are very minor. The clear plastic is very good. The 101A/C had complaints about the canopy being flat on top. This one is OK

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

wjkunert wrote:Stik

The link comes up photos not found.

Scroll thru the thread, some photos are there, some are not.

FLSM

Return to “Modeling Discussion”