Painting Rubber band tracks,,,

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Stikpusher

Re: Painting Rubber band tracks,,,

Post by Stikpusher »

A little foggy on memory here, but I want to say that brand new tracks from the factory we covered in a tar like coating to protect them from the elements. But that stuff was immediately rubbed off in use. Once they were down to bare steel, the steel used by the Germans had a high manganese content, resulting in a more brownish tone of steel.
From personal experience and observations, don’t rust the tracks on an operational vehicle. Yes rust will form overnite when stopped, but it is rapidly worn off as soon as they move again. The outer face of the track will take on an earthen look, and theminner faces will look similar, aside from where there is direct metal to metal contact from the idler and sprocket wheels, which will polish up quite shiny. And then of course mud or dust will coat anything or everything depending upon the local conditions.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks for the advice Stik - that makes a lot of sense.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Well the experiment seems to be working well.

I've given the whole tracks a coat of Humbrol enamel primer.and it seems to have adhered well. Yes it can be scraped off if you really try but for everyday painting and handling whilst building it should be fine - Cool!

I've put the Humbrol tin and brush in the picture for all you fans! :lashed:

Cheers!

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Here is a good reference photo, original WWII color film, of Panzer colors in North Africa. It was taken in winter/spring 1943, so these are the late colors. But are a good reference for the tracks. Notice how the spare tracks are pretty much painted to match the exterior of the tank.

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Excellent reference pic Stik !

And North-Africa was not just sun and sand as we see here.

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks for that Stik - That's quite an interesting shot, I'm trying to figure out what colours I'm looking at. It's great info to know that the spare tracks were the same colour as the hull - makes life easier.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Those should be the 1942 “tropen” colors RAL 8020 and RAL 7027. That is 501st Schwere Panzer Abteilung, (their Tiger emblem is visible next to the drivers viewport) which was raised in summer 1942 and sent to Tunisia in the Fall in response to Operation Torch. The photo was taken in Spring 1943 after the Kasserine Pass and El Guettar battles.

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thank you for the in progress photos, Stuart, the beautiful reference photos, Carlos, and the excellent discussion everyone!

It’s Friday!!! We survived another week!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Kari, Tunisia as you can see, is a very temperate climate and green in the wet season.

FLSM

Return to “Modeling Discussion”