My first attempt at rigging...

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

My first attempt at rigging...

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Since both of my builds are at a standstill due to needing paint, I've decided to try my hand at rigging for a bi-plane. I do have 3 bi-plane kits in my stash that will be rigged - Revell 1/48 Stearman, Academy 1/32 Sopwith Camel F.1, and ICM 1/48 U-2 / Po-2VS WW2 Soviet Night Light Bomber.

So... I decided to use a sprue tree as my mule for my first attempt at rigging. Watching various YouTube tutorial videos on how to do rigging, I made my own eyelets for anchor rigging points, brass tubing, and ordinary fishing line.

Here's my sample result:

Imageimage upload software

I'm not sold on the tubing size I used for it looked a bit too big for 1/48 scale or even 1/32 scale.I used black permanent marker to color the fishing line. All in all, I'm happy with my result.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Re: My first attempt at rigging...

Post by Stikpusher »

The tubing looks too big, but otherwise it all looks great...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

What a Mega Brilliant good idea to use a sprue for practicing purposes!

:writing:

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

KSaarni wrote:What a Mega Brilliant good idea to use a sprue for practicing purposes!

:writing:

- Kari
I know, right!?! :lashed:

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Man, rigging is one of those foreign countries of modeling that I still fear to visit. But there's a biplane to rig in the near future for me.
Oh boy... :bag:
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

mostrich wrote:Man, rigging is one of those foreign countries of modeling that I still fear to visit. But there's a biplane to rig in the near future for me.
Oh boy... :bag:
Try rigging on sprue like I’ve done. This way, you’ll get an understanding how easy it is to do. There are YouTube videos tutorials you can follow. It’s really not that hard once you try it. It may look time consuming but with a bit of patience, you’ll see how easy it is to do.

You can make your own eyelet using a piece of brass wiring by twisting it on tweezers. Cut a couple pieces of brass (about1/8”) and use simple fishing line.

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Brilliant test, Blacksheep!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Mopar Madness

Post by Mopar Madness »

I really need to attempt rigging someday as there are many fine aircraft I would love to build that require it! Excellent idea about practicing on plastic sprue!
Chad

God, family, models.

At the plate: Something Luftwaffe...
On deck: Something Luftwaffe...
In the hole: Something Luftwaffe I’m sure!
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Have a look at Uschi for rigging. I bought a spool of all the sizes and it is supper stretchy and extremely easy to work with. Take a look at some of the YouTube tuts. My only downside is it looks scale, which on something like a 1/350 or 1/70 ship you can't really see it, which is scale but doesn't work as well on a scale model to my eye. It's counter-intuitive.
Steve
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Remarkable idea for a rigging practice technique. Who 'da thunk it? Way to go! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Modeling Discussion”