Maddog Manufacturing Production for 2019

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Maddog Manufacturing Production for 2019

Post by Duke Maddog »

Okay, this is a small update, and an all armor one as well. I did get a lot done, so it's small in reference to the number of models I made progress on.

First off, I got my Russian SG-122 clearcoated and then washed with a brown wash. My picture taking still needs some work but with the limitations I have, I think you can see this well enough. Here's the vehicle all glossy and washed up:

Now this didn't come with any markings so I decided to rummage around in my decal stash and found some that would fit. I applied these on both sides while it was still glossy:

You can see I also painted the tracks. Later, I dullcoated this:

Now all that is left is to weather this and then I can call it done.

While I was glossing and washing things, I also glossed and washed the Russian BREM:

Interestingly enough, this one also did not come with markings so I just dullcoated it:

I'm just going to add the remaining detail bits and then weather this and call it done.

Moving along, I pulled out my Diamond T wrecker. I had started the painting on the cab as you see here:

Afterward, I painted the interior, even though this probably won't be seen after I close it up:

Next I added the front windscreen:

I might have to adjust those windows. While waiting for them to dry, I started the assembly of the back deck:

After that was done, I pulled out my Chi Nu and also painted the tracks along with the SG-122 and BREM:

You can't really tell that much in this pic. Anyway, if I was painting the tracks for this, it was time to move on the camouflage pattern. So, I pulled out my trusty Silly Putty and masked off where I wanted the brown to remain:

By this time it was too cold to airbrush so I need to wait for a warmer day. Hopefully soon.

Finally I got to the project that I made the most progress on. The two Russian tractors received some significant work. First off, I assembled all the axles for these tractors, after painting the wheel hubs. Here is one of the two identical sprues with the work I did:

When these were dry, I added them to the two chassis. Here's the first Tractor:

And the second tractor:

Next I assembled all the parts on the cabs, excluding the delicate fiddly parts that would break with handling. This included the windscreens, dash boards and steering wheels. The dash boards and steering wheels can't be seen in these pics. This is the cab for the second tractor with the bed; it is identical to the first one except for the headlights:

Here are the two cabs side by side:

Next I assembled the interiors....such as they were. I basically added the seats to the cab floor:

With the steering wheels and dash boards already added to the cab tops, you can see they "spared no expense" with these interiors! So I went and painted everything up inside; knowing it wouldn't be seen well, I didn't get fancy. Here it is while still wet:

Well after they were dry, the next thing to do was to cement the cabs to the floors and close everything up:

Then I added these cabs to their respective chassis, making sure the right cab went with the right chassis. I then added the two other assemblies which hide the empty engine compartment:

Unfortunately for me, I didn't notice that you can see right through the grills on the side of the trucks till too late. I don't know if I can fix that now, given that everything is already glued in place. Anyway, here is the two tractors from the rear:

Now with that bare plastic showing, I knew I had to mask the windows so I could re-shoot these models. Therefore, I tried a couple different masking agents. First, I found this liquid masking agent from Model Detailers... and liquid it sure is! It runs horribly, so you have to place the masked area horizontal to keep it from running off the area you want to mask. After that fiasco, I went with the Tamiya tape that I had other issues with. The Model Detailers stuff is the purple tint on the windows of the one cab:

That's as far as I got on all those so far. I have to wait for a warmer day to try and spray these later. I am happy with the progress so far though. Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome. Stay tuned, more to come.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Those are looking good Mark.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Hey, looking good there, Mark! Stay dry, bud! So... how about drilling and making a slot below those pesky open vents and come up through the framing? You could slip a piece of cardstock painted any dark color you want, add white glue in the sides and slide into place. Presto! (I know it’s never that easy.). Congratulations so far!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Carlos! It feels good to make this kind of progress.

Thanks Bruce. Coming up through the bottom is not easy at all: the floor is solid and if I try to make a hole for a sheet of styrene, I'll truly screw this up. I'm just gonna leave it. I have enough models that I have to fix and re-do already; I just want a simple and quick build.

Stay tuned; as soon as there's a warm enough day, I'll be shooting paint.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Those tractors are cool! What kit are they?
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Medic! They are the new Takom 1/72 scale dual kit. They made one other that I'm still trying to get.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Paul
Addicted Member

Post by Paul »

great looking stuff, Mark
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Okay, everyone strap in tight for this tour of my manufacturing plant; this is going to be a long update; and it will be all armor and vehicles again. For some reason I have quite a mojo boost to finish a bunch of these; especially since I started a few simple and fast ones for a Light Vehicles Group Build on the Missing Lynx Braille Scale Forums.

Okay, I'll start with this first one. I'm building the Pershing II on a trailer with the MAN cab tractor, but the only thing I did on that model so far was the Pershing missile. I figured I'd get that out of the way first:

That's all I did on that one so far. I'll get more done on the tractor and trailer later. First, I'll continue on and work on these other models. Like the other missile vehicle I have going...

On my German SAM-6 Gainful, I painted the missiles in a pale green:

I then mounted them on the launcher to see how they look after the paint was dry. I like it so far:

Later I masked and painted the white nosecones:

I then added the decals to the vehicle and later dullcoated it after these pics were taken. All that's left now is to weather it and then I can call it done:

Moving on, I did some more assembly on the little Toldi II. I had held off since the torsion arms were so fiddly which would make the wheels almost impossible to line up. Still, I did my best:

After this was sufficiently dry, but not too dry; I added the roadwheels to it and tried hard to line them up straight as best I could:

It won't be any contest winner with those wonky wheels, but they are at least on there and I can then add the tracks later when everything dries.

While that was dying, I finished adding all the fiddly bits to the upper hull, except for the tools. Later on, when everything was dry(er) I posed the upper hull and turret on this little tank to see how it looks:

Pretty cool! It's certainly a tiny thing too. Now all it needs is tracks and then I can paint this.

Speaking of painting a tank; as you all know I had painted the basecoat on the Chi Nu and then I masked it with Silly Putty. I finally got a dry enough day to spray so I shot the second color on it. Here it is sporting the darker green color now:

Later I added more Silly Putty for the final color, a lighter green:

That will be sprayed when I get more time for the airbrush booth. Meanwhile, as that was drying; I brush painted the various colors on the roadwheels and also detailed out the tracks a bit:

That's all I got done on that little beastie. Now for the work I did on some trucks and light vehicles.

As mentioned above, I started a Light Vehicles Group Build on the Missing Lynx Braille Scale Forums. I submitted four vehicles for it, three of which I started at Hobby Day. The first one of these was an ACE kit; the Italian Coloniale staff car. I did the chassis first; it only took abut three minutes which was so fast I also did the dash board with steering wheel:

Building it up from there was fairly simple and easy which is becoming more common now with the newer ACE kits. I commend Alexey for doing such a fantastic job improving his molds:

Later I decided to make this with the top up, so I assembled the canvas top and window frames:

A simple dry fit later shows some issues but they will be easy to take care of. This is a nice looking little car:

That's all I did on that one so far.

Moving on, I also started another ACE kit, which is another Italian vehicle. This is the ACE Italian Autoblinda Tratorre, and I started with the chassis again. Because of the way the front axles are mounted, I also assembled and installed the front hood for stability:

I then did the rear bed for this truck; also using it later to stabilize the rear wheel axles:

Later I started the cab, leaving off the roof so I could add the windows later:

Here's how it looks all together so far:

The last light vehicle I started for the Group Build was the new Airfix Airborne Vehicles set with the Jeep, trailer and 75mm pack howitzer. Again, I started with the chassis on the Jeep:

Two minutes later I assembled most of the upper body of this jeep:

I then added seats inside and dry fit the hood and body to the chassis. Looking good:

The instructions say this thing was air dropped from Halifax bombers so they had developed a sort of tray for this to help protect it when landing. This was included in the kit:

This is how it looks sans wheels so far:

Next up was the trailer which took all of four minutes to build:

...and finally, I assembled the pack howitzer. That took another five or six minutes:

It's a nice little gun, but I have to say the ACE pack howitzer is better detailed and a nicer looking model when finished. You'll also notice I left the wheels off all these so I could spray them separately and add them later after they are fully painted.

Here is the whole set assembled and ready for paint:

Now when I had painted my Chi Nu, I had also finished painting green on the two Russian tractors. Here's the first tractor:

And here is the second tractor:

Later on I painted the chassis and undersides a flat black as indicated in the instructions, next is to clear coat these for decals.

I also moved ahead on my Diamond T wrecker, first shooting all the cab parts still on the sprues. I also shot the wheel hubs:

While that was drying, I started the assembly on the two booms of the wrecker. After ten minutes, I finally got the first boom done. This simple boom had seven parts on it, and lining up the slightly curved outer parts was difficult beyond measure:

I took a short break from that and assembled the air compressor next:

Then I assembled the second boom seen here:

Thank God that was done! Next I painted Oily Black on the lower chassis of the Diamond T:

I then built this assembly, which holds the two booms:

And that's as far as I got on that. I need to do some painting before I move on here.

At about this time, my ACE Centurion had arrived and so I pulled it out and dug right in. I started with the lower hull:

The fit is great but there were some places it still acted like an ACE kit of the past! However, I was having a blast and continued on...

Next came the five pieces of the upper hull and the two fenders:

I then built up the turret while the hull was drying, here's the basic turret so far:

Naturally I had to test fit this all together to see how it looked:

It was at that time I discovered that the rear corners of the turret were rubbing on the raised engine deck. I carefully sanded these down a bit to make the turret's turning more fluid.

Okay, I hope you enjoyed your ride through Maddog Manufacturing today. I know it was a long trip but I hope it was fun nonetheless. Thank you all for looking in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

That was a great ride through your factory today, Duke. Thank you for taking the time to put together such a wonderfully detailed and entertaining (“Thank God that was over!” was a laugh out loud moment) episode. I particularly like those two trucks from (Boo, Hiss) Dragon quite a bit! Ditto the Airfix “Air Drop” series pieces. I have a historical question for you, sir... why are some vintage armor kits in 1/76?
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Great progress on all of those Mark - I really like that SAM-6.

And to answer your question Bruce, IIRC a lot of the old kits are in 1/76 as it's the same scale as the OO gauge for model railways (and you can't have a proper model railway without at least one tank :giggles: )
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Modeling Discussion”