Maddog Manufacturing Production for 2019

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: Maddog Manufacturing Production for 2019

Post by Medicman71 »

My OCD is going nuts!! :giggles:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I think I would go nuts if I had that many projects going on at one time. :shocked:
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Floki! Yeah, my place always looks like a bomb went off. Gee with all the "firepower" in there, I'm not surprised! Looks like Halifax in 1912! Sometimes I don't know where anything is unfortunately. That's why there are so many sitting above this desk.

Medic, I could use a little OCD. Care to send some my way? I should have you here to organize all this, but then you'd probably be tipped over the edge.... :bag:

Joe, I sometimes do. Hobby Day helps to alleviate some of the nuttiness that comes from working in that room.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Despite my best efforts, I didn't finish anything else for 2019. Too many things kept interrupting bench time and the wife had a lot of things she wanted me to do. That being said, here's my best efforts over the past three days. I'll start with my aircraft...

First up, I applied the decals to the cockpit of the German Huey and then closed it up inside the two fuselage halves. I had a devil of a time with seams all over:

I especially had problems with the nose, so fortunately; the two chin windows popped out. I used the openings to clamp it shut and this bird is finally together:

Next up, my HUP-1 was filled with Mr. Surfacer 500 on the seams and the windows and openings were masked:

Later I sanded the seams and masked off the cockpit with more tape:

Finally, I added the tail feathers to this little bird:

Now, this HUP will take awhile to finish due to the fact that one rotor set disappeared. I found one rotor blade that had broken off, but until the hub and two other blades are found; this bird can't be completed. This won't stop me from airbrushing and adding the landing gear, decals and other bits to bring it as close to done as possible.

Moving on, I decided it was time to get the remaining paint on the Israeli F-16I so I masked off the base coat:

I shot the light tan over this and let it dry:

I know it's not easy to see in this pic; everything blends. That being said, after the tan was dry I masked over it to be ready for the third color:

Now I can shoot the third color next time I get the chance.

That's all I have done on my aircraft so far. Now on to my ground vehicles.

First up, I decided to get my T-15 Armata up to the paint stage. I still had a lot of extra parts to add to this. So, I finished off the turret; added the driver's and radio operator's hatches and any other detail parts that were missing:

Then I moved to the lower hull and added all the roadwheels and any other detail parts needed:

After that, I added the tracks and cemented the upper and lower hulls together. I also assembled the side skirts and dry-fit them to the sides:

I gotta say, the tracks on this Armata were so easy and quick to put on! Zvezda knows how to do tracks right! I decided to do the same for the Terminator. Here's the Terminator sporting her new shoes:

Later that and all the other vehicles got a coat of green but I'm getting ahead of myself.

On my eight-wheeled trucks, I knew I had a lot more to do before painting. Starting with the KZKT trucks, I added all the photo-etch to the cabs and undersides:

I then added the cruise missile launch tubes inside the Iskandar:

I also did the same for all the MAZ trucks but there was very little photo-etch to add to them. I then masked off the windows on all the trucks to ready them for the paint booth:

Once I took that pic, I realized one truck had fallen behind. My "Baikal" command truck was missing from that pic. I pulled out the box and got going on it.

First thing I did was to finish closing up the command cabin:

Next I installed the two sides of the drivers cab interiors as well as the lowered radar. You can see I started painting the interior as well. I had also masked off the windows on the cab ahead of time and removed the main radar/communications mast from the sprue:

I test fit the communications mast. This is gonna be a tall one:

The board underneath it was to determine whether all the wheels were touching the ground.

Later; after the interior was fully painted and the cab interiors dry enough, I added the cab exterior:

The top of the communications mast had photo-etch, so I added it to the top:

The three horizontal bars all need to eventually be bent out to form a 'star'. I'll do that once it's dry.

There was one final truck that needed to be finished off: the MAZ AA-60 fire tender. This beastie had been fighting me all the time I was building it. I pulled it out and got started on adding all the extra detail parts, foam cannon, railings and other accessories to this. I also masked off the windows:

I then painted the white stripes on the sides of this, as well as the white fender in front and the two stripes on the back doors. It is a bit difficult to see in this pic, but it is there:

That's when I noticed (not visible in the above pic) that the rear of the cabs were open. I couldn't have that. I added strip styrene to the openings to seal them off:

Later on I cut and sanded them flush:

Yes, that tiny hole not visible to the naked eye got filled. Now this beastie was ready for paint.

After all that, I was finally able to move forward. I had masked off all the trucks on their windows and their wheel hubs so that I could glue the wheels hubs straight to the axles without having to scrape them first. Here they are all ready for paint! Yes, the Baikal's doors were added to the cab before I painted:

On this pic, you can see the photo-etch I added to the bottom of the KZKT trucks:

Six of the above trucks needed a green base coat so on it went on all six of them. That is two and a half bottles of Testor's Model Master Dark Green sitting in that spray booth:

As mentioned, I also shot paint on the BMPT Terminator, T-15 Armata and the BMP-3 Early. I used a Russian Armor Green from Testor's and it was lighter and semi-gloss. Oh well; it was going to be flattened anyway. I forgot to get pics of the three of them in their green coats; I was moving too fast and forgot to shoot them. However, once they were dry and while I had the Silly Putty out, I started to mask them off for the second color, starting with the Armata:

Next I started masking the BMP-3 Early. It was easier to pull the turret off and mask it first:

Next I masked off the main hull:

Finally, I decided to move forward on the Leopold railgun. This was going to be grey so I pulled out my Schwartzgrau and shot the main trucks first:

Next I shot the interior of the main trunnion where it would be visible once the top went on:

After a bit of touch up, that will start going together faster. And that is where I had to stop.

So, I hope you all enjoyed this year's tours of Maddog Manufacturing. As I close this year out on this thread, let me leave you with a preview of everything I'll be mostly finishing off in the New Year:

Thanks all for looking in and supporting me throughout the year. Your comments, suggestions and compliments have kept me going. Take care and I'll see you next year in the new Maddog Manufacturing Thread for 2020.

Comments are always welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Mark, you are amazing to be sure!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Busy as a bee....
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Always fun to watch your builds.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

You got a lot done since our last update, more than I got done all year. All them trucks are looking great.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks guys! I truly appreciate your comments and compliments. I'm well staged to complete a bunch of these this year! Stay tuned as I start a new Maddog Manufacturing Thread for 2020....
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Great looking final mega post Mark - amazing work all around as always. Your bench is awesome!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Modeling Discussion”