SPA Modeler Member Interviews.

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
speedgraflex

Re: SPA Modeler Member Interviews.

Post by speedgraflex »

Scale Plastic Aircraft Modeler member interview

BorgR3mc0, real name Remco Grob. So the mystery of my avatar name is finally revealed.

1. First model kit?

I am not really sure. My first kits where build "together" with my grandfather. I was about five or six at the time and enjoyed doing these projects together. He did most of the work but I was really involved. And he taught me the basics: check instructions, cut out parts carefully, test fit, then glue (not to much!), etcetera. Most likely it was a Airfix 1/144 DC-9. My grandfather probably misread the instruction because the decals are cut out with backing paper and glued on the plane. I still have this kit in my display cabinet. It is a treasured possession for me. First build that I did solo was an 1/144 F-14 which I later trashed for a whiff build.

2. Preferred scale?

1/72, The One True Scale! I like the size, you can get a lot of detail in without getting bogged down by all the pieces you have to fit. Furthermore I really like all the subject matter that you can get in 1/72. My interests go towards pretty obscure subjects such as Polikarpov, Koolhoven, rocket powered and forward swept winged aircraft. For that 1/72 offers the widest selection. Lastly you can relatively easy make little diorama's or vignettes with 1/72. I do have other scales in my stash, some subjects lend themselves for a nice large model. For instance the Polikarpov I-16 is very small but at 1/32 it is quite impressive.

3. Preferred subject or subjects?

Aircraft mostly. I like a wide variety of aircraft but a few of my preferred subjects are the MiG-3, Me-163 Komet and Polikarpov. However, I do build other stuff such as Gundam, Games Workshop figures and tanks.

4. Favorite model built to date?

Oh dear, that is a difficult question. I will have to split that into sub categories:

Best fit: Tamiya 1/48 Kawanishi N1K1: it is true what people say about Tamiya, simply the best!

Best paintwork: Zvesda (Italeri reboxing) 1/72 Kamov Ka-32 Helix, one of my earlier blackbased models and it worked as advertised. Blackbasing really is a great technique that I picked up at SPAM.

Best use of aftermarket: Academy 1/72 Me-163S with CMK cockpit, Rocketeer decals and some scratch items to make it a very specific Komet that was captured and tested by the Soviets.

Most modified kit: that is tie. I like doing modifications, it really makes your model unique. It is a tie between a Hobby Boss 1/72 Me-163 Komet. This "easy build" kit has a very bad cockpit. I grafted a Academy cockpit in it, made master for the canopy, vacformed a new canopy and used Rocketeer decals for a captured French example with a modified canopy. But I am also very fond of a kit bash of an MPM XP-47H and Academy P-47D that I did. The shape of the MPM kit is bad, I used the nose and belly of the MPM kit and grafted that on a Academy Thunderbolt. It was my first black based model but my airbrush just wasn't good enough. So I bought a new airbrush just to finish this kit.

Most epic build: 1/48 HitKit MiG-3, a vacform that toke me more than a decade. It was on the shelf of doom for a long time but I am very happy with the end result. I used black base and Alkan paints for that one and it turned out just as I wanted. And the fact that I persevered in building it even tough at times I thought it should throw it in the trash.

5. Hardest model built to date?

I build a lot of short run kits so I think I have quite a high threshold for crappy kits. Some that come to mind: Zhengdefu/Kitech 1/72 Mig-25: when you see a Zhengdefu kit, run away, don't walk! These are pirated copies of other brands, a badly fitting mess with crap decals. I solved this by making this MiG-25 into a diorama where it is half buried like they did in Iraq.

- Condor 1/72 Heinkel He-176: the team that wrote the instructions unfortunately never talked with the team that made the kit nor the team that did the photo etch.

- Amodel 1/72 Polikarpov I-180: not my first or second Amodel kit so I know they can do better but the I-180 is a bad kit: short shot, weird wing assembly, very hard to get everything aligned.

- Modelnews North American P-51H Mustang: a very bad kit. Not because it was typical early 90's short run but because it just doesn't look like the H model. It is at best a D with and Cavalier H tail. So after all that effort to build it, I still don't have a nice H model mustang.

- Condor 1/72 Messerschmidt Me-163A: the worst kit ever, the build itself is quite easy but this horrible blob of malformed styrene doesn't even remotely resemble the A version of the Komet. To make matter worse, I bought the "new" Special Hobby Me-163A but that is the same kit! Somebody needs to do a A version Komet, I am pinning my hopes on Brengun.

6. Holy Grail kit?

A nice 1/72 Lockheed AH-56 Cheyenne. I think that would be a license to print money for any model company.

7. Favorite kit maker?

ICM, because of all those nice Polikarpov kits they make! But I must say I choose subject first and then look at the kits available. So I have a lot of different brands in my stash.

8. Favorite glue or glues?

Microscale liquid, non toxic and effective for general assembly. Revell Contacta or Faller with a needle tube for details. Gator Grip for canopies and PE. Gel CA glue for metal and resin parts.

9. Favorite paint?

I use a lot of Tamiya. I think Gunze is even better but it is hard to find over here. Both are fine paints.

10. What started you as a modeler?

A love for aircraft is my driving motivation. I lived near Schiphol (Amsterdam) airport for years. Going spotting or visiting the local aircraft museum where favorite past times. After that I moved near Soesterberg air force base. At the time the 32nd TFS Wolfhounds where stationed there with the F-15. All sorts of exotic planes came in at that base, Antonov's, A-10's , Jetstars. I have a vivid memory of seeing an F-117 flying in whilst I was riding my bike in our street. This was just after Desert Storm so it was very exciting.

I had a sort of "Pokemon, got to catch them all" attitude towards modelling at the time. I just built models for collecting, no painting, maybe some decals. I probably didn't start to paint them until I was about 15 or 16. I picked up a copy of "How to go advanced modelling" by Chris Ellis at a modelling event. That was an eyeopener for me. Internet wasn't really a thing yet so was this book that really got me going into correcting kits, finishing seams and all the other stuff that we consider basic skills nowadays. So after that I started "serious modelling".
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Wouh, that was a very interesting and very detailed and comprehensive interview!

Many thanks!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Great interview! You really broke down everything very well.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

well done! Very interesting even if you got the one true scale wrong. 1/48 or 1/32 (as I get older)
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Excellent thorough interview!!! :shoutout:

Remco, there is hope for that 1:72 AH-56 Cheyenne. Long ago, Aurora made that exact kit. Now that a new company, Atlantis Models, has acquired the old Aurora molds and started reissuing those kits, there is hope that the Cheyenne will come back out.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
pzl66
Master Member

Post by pzl66 »

Great interview! It’s ok, I will still call you Borg!
Messerschmitt 109 Addict
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Great interview, thanks guys.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Wow, fantastic interview Remco! Sensational information.

Don't listen to Lyle, 1/72 scale is indeed the One True Scale! :lashed: :shoutout:

I love your descriptions of many of those short run kits. I noticed you haven't built any Mach 2 or Armageddon kits. Believe me, they make your toughest kits you described look like Tamiya quality! I know; I built two Mach 2's and an Armageddon.

Bruce, thanks for posting another exceptional interview.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks for reading, gents. I published Remco’s interview earlier here because I am working nights this week. On Facebook the post is scheduled at the normal Friday morning (Europe) delivery time. Cheers.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Post by midnightprowler »

Great interview. I as well would like a Cheyenne kit.
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.

Return to “Modeling Discussion”