Hey Carlos - Airbrushing Humbrol Enamels!?

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Stuart
Elite Member

Hey Carlos - Airbrushing Humbrol Enamels!?

Post by Stuart »

Hi Carlos, (and anyone else)

What are your thoughts on airbrushing with Humbrol Enamels?

As I've just got my first airbrush, I've been thinking about starting out with them as I have more than anything else - Are they any good or would I be better using something like Tamiya acrylics?

I was suggested MRP but I'm not sure I want to touch lacquers until I have some extraction.

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Re: Hey Carlos - Airbrushing Humbrol Enamels!?

Post by Stikpusher »

Humbrol enamels airbrush beautifully! They are my first choice in most cases. I think them with Testors airbrush thinner, which seems to give any enamel paint more bite to adhere to the plastic.
Tamiya may clean up a bit easier, but you can’t beat Humbrols color range, adhesion, and durability. I have never tried Humbrol’s own enamel paint thinner, so I can’t comment on that. But like all other enamels, it responds well to generic paint thinners that you can buy from any hardware or paint store. I presume that there are similar stores in the U.K.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Stik - glad to hear it. I have about 50 odd tinlets so it's good to know they are usable. I do have their own thinners but to be honest it's just bog standard White Spirit which I can get anywhere over here. What sort of ratio do you use with the Testors??

And do you use their clears?

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I don’t use Humbrol Gloss Clear. I still am working they my bottle of Future and probably have at least another several dozen builds worth in there. I have used their Satin and Matt Clear coats and love those.
As far as thinning ratios go, I’m usually in a 2 parts paint to 1 part thinner starting point and will adjust from there, depending upon the viscosity of the paint. As you know, there is some variation there. As a general rule, you want your paint thinned to around the consistency of milk. Experiment a bit to see what I mean. And grab an old build to use as a paint test mule for both colors and techniques.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Carlos - most helpful.

I've ordered myself some pots and pippetts for mixing, and once those turn up I'll give it a go.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Stuart, especially with Humbrol paints, I strongly suggest that you get some of these Tamiya stirring sticks. The blade end is perfect for mixing the paint in the tin/pot, and the spoon end gives you nice precise drops for transferring the paint into your mixing container. Used in conjunction with pipettes for the thinner, your mixing ratios are exact. X drops of paint and Y drops of thinner.

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Cool! More tools to buy :grin: Thanks for the tip Carlos, I'll get some.

I have also ordered one of those paint clear pot things - just to try and keep the fumes down as I'm painting in the house.

mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

When I got my first AB all I had in my stash were ol' Revell's enamel paints. Bought a bottle of Humbrol enamel thinner (which I still have) and went on my first painting adventure. My Flettner had a single color scheme and so was a perfect victim to my attacks.

I hosed it on pretty thick and you can see a pretty patchy outcome in the straight sunlight. I underestimated the amound of thinner those pigment rich colors need. You can easily thin them by 80% and they still have a coverage like nobody's business. But boy, from the start so much better than any brush painting I've done before!
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Stikpusher wrote:Stuart, especially with Humbrol paints, I strongly suggest that you get some of these Tamiya stirring sticks. The blade end is perfect for mixing the paint in the tin/pot, and the spoon end gives you nice precise drops for transferring the paint into your mixing container. Used in conjunction with pipettes for the thinner, your mixing ratios are exact. X drops of paint and Y drops of thinner.

Nice. Something to think about. I use wooden stir sticks.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I use those dentist spatulas they use for mixing their plaster. I also occasionally use the electric (battery) mixer from Badger.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Modeling Discussion”