Using Rubber Tires in Kits

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
jelliott523
Master Member

Using Rubber Tires in Kits

Post by jelliott523 »

So, I've got a question about the rubber tires that come in some kits, especially Hobby Boss and Trumpeter. I've got a couple aircraft kits that have rubber tires to use on the kits and my son is currently building the ZiL-152 with the SA-2 transport trailer that has kit rubber tires. I've seen for myself the damage that can be done after prolonged contact with the rubber and it melting styrene. I'm looking for suggestions or solutions to prevent the melting of the styrene. I know, I've heard people say the manufacturers have changed the formulas so this doesn't happen "as often", I'd prefer to not have it happen at all.
I do plan on replacing the aircraft rubber tires I have with resin; however, for the ZiL-157 my son is building, resin replacements are very hard to find, not to mention, VERY expensive.
speedgraflex

Re: Using Rubber Tires in Kits

Post by speedgraflex »

Apologies for my delayed response. I saw your post yesterday and meant to reply sooner. Thank you for asking about this. As I also build slot cars, I have found that maintaining freshness and the shape of a rubber tire is a big challenge. I feel you may have already arrived at what my best answer is: replacements. I currently use resin replacements but I also believe Shapeways is a great source for detail parts. Perhaps a quick search will yield interesting results? I have not done this before but I know for my large 1/12 car project I was going to cast tires over the rubber kit part. I also have a few 1/24 and 1/25 cars that were initially designed to be motorized which feature rubber tires. My plan is to use the tires as is.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

From what I’ve read, the biggest problem is interaction of some sort between the bare rubber and bare styrene. And most recommendations to counteract that is painting the hub completely to add a barrier between the two. In addition to the paint, and perhaps a sealing clear layer, I wonder if a thin layer of rubber tire formula CA glue, the black stuff, would help as well?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

Thanks guys! I forgot about Shapeways, I've looked at their site before for some things and completely spaced them off, I'll definitely have to check them out.

Stik, I was thinking this would probably be the way I'd have to go. My plan, if I cant find replacements would be to put a barrier of Mr. Surfacer down first on the wheels, then possibly do an additional coat of Stynylrez or something over the top to seal everything up. I picked up some of the black tire CA glue at my LHS. I've heard the RC guys use this for attaching their tires. We'll see how everything goes.

Return to “Modeling Discussion”