How to Become a Better Modeler

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: How to Become a Better Modeler

Post by Duke Maddog »

This is a good chart to consult now and then. Great information. I don't really knowing where I stand on that, as in reference to model building; I tend to keep trying to perfect a technique that I've been taught before moving on. I still have difficulty with techniques that everyone here makes look so easy and realistic. I guess I can say I'm improving as I try to keep my mind open to other possibilities but I don't feel I'm moving very fast. That is fine with me. I gauge my progress based on how I place at contests. If I can place against all those masters that enter, then I'm getting better. Otherwise, I just enjoy the camaraderie and fellowship at all the contests I attend. That is the most fun, anything else is just cream on the cake.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Re: How to Become a Better Modeler

Post by speedgraflex »

One thing I want to add is that it’s good to push ideas and techniques as long as you have your foundational approaches within reach. A lot of what we do fits the analogy of a really good professional grade toolbox—each shelf or level contains our skills for the task at hand. The techniques I have learned here from y’all have been truly incredible.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Modeling Discussion”