How to Become a Better Modeler

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
jkim
Elite Member

How to Become a Better Modeler

Post by jkim »

I recently received training on accountability in the work place. One of the things the consultant touched upon was the idea of a "growth mindset" versus a "fixed mindset" according to researcher Carol Dweck. It really resonated with me, especially when applied to model building. I think improving as a modeler is not about techniques and tools... it's about the mindset. If we believe that skills, intellect and talent can be developed through practice and perseverance, we can improve and grow as modelers. Check it out...

John aka JKim
-----------<><
LyleW
Admin

Re: How to Become a Better Modeler

Post by LyleW »

Good stuff, John! I’m guilty.....
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I like a lot of the ideas you've got there John. To keep it in the realm of modeling (I've been an automotive technician my whole life and carry this mindset there too) I believe that if we are unwilling to learn new things then it's time to find something else to do. Being uninterested in learning new techniques, ideas or being closed off to constructive critique inhibits us from getting better and keeps us stagnant. Our builds can reflect that same attitude by using "cookie cutter" techniques over and over. Like your flyer says, taking risks and confronting fears/ blocks are the gateway to improving our skillsets.

As for myself....I simply follow this guideline:

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

This is wonderful and positive to think about. One of the major issues I have had with replication builds is how tired the results become; how stale. There was a modeler on this forum who passed last year who used to just come out and say he was tired of seeing the same thing over and over, and had stopped reading builds to just build. That worked for him. That also highlighted how most of the patterns of building run in phases, become overworked, then transition sometimes violently into another pattern. What’s cool about Spam for me is that this functions as a series of overlapping style sets and chronological mindsets. Not that I’m doing a hard promotion. I’m not. I just really dig the international aesthetic here. A world aesthetic. I don’t feel locked into a precise pattern based on geography. It’s just model building and human beings who are basically very crafty apes at the root of it, dexterous and deftly building intricate subjects. What works against an individualistic approach is usually a rule-based mindset. There are no real rules or pressures; this is a free space for contemplation, creation and some mischief, too.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Interesting stuff - I'd say I tend to jump between the two mindsets when it comes to modelling.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

I was just sitting there during management training. When asked how it applies to me in my work environment, all I could think about was how it much it made sense from a model-building perspective. Although I am not always on the GROWTH side of chart, I am believer that aiming for that side will move me up and forward as a modeler. And it is empowering to think that it is something that resides within me and just an unavoidable external circumstance. I thought it'd be helpful to share.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

It was John. It's always good to have a visual que like this as a reminder. Funny how you mentioned that as you were asked how this information applies to you at work that your mind drifted off to the modeling aspect of it. I think most of us here can certainly relate to that. :grin:
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

I'd like to add...
This is good for anything in everyday life, but really helps with modeling.

"How can I?" vs. "I don't know how" mindset.

If you say "I don't know how"...you've shut down the computing mechanism that rests between your ears...and you'll never know how.
If you say "how can I...?" ...that computing mechanism will, more often than not, surprise you. It may take some trial-n-error, but you'll get there!
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I’m guilty of it as well. Often times I’m afraid to mess up a perfectly good paint job to go above my ability in weathering. That’s why it’s always a good idea to try it on a mule kit. Heck, I don’t even know why I’m afraid to do it on a mule kit anyway. I guess it’s my mindset of thinking it’s not enough, too much or not good enough. I guess it’s the lack of confidence of having a go at it and stop worrying about it. I don’t know. :bag:

I’d probably be more confident doing it if someone showed me physically on hand teach me step by step and watch me do it. Know wut I mean?
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Thanks John, I'm always trying to improve and learn new things but this is something to hang up in the hobby room.. Heck, at 59, I'm going through Real Estate school. :whistle:
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench

Return to “Modeling Discussion”