IPMS Nationals 2020

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Re: IPMS Nationals 2020

Post by Modelcrazy »

Some states still refuse to open. Isn't it the San Antonio city counsel that said calling the virus the "China virus" is a hate crime?
What about the Spanish flu or German measles or even Russian flu?
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I have a hunch that many lawsuits are going to be coming up. Many constitutional violation issues are being raised, such as due process, freedom of movement, worship, gathering peaceably to redress grievances, right to keep and bear arms, etc. Many emergency measures taken have been flat out unconstitutional and will not stand up in court. In addition to the economic aftermath, the legal aftermath here in the US is going to be messy.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Oh yeah. It's gonna get ugly real fast. I honestly believe folks are getting fed up and restless with these lock downs / stay at home order.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes, and with the warm weather arriving, it will be much harder to enforce. When it’s cold and wet outside, people will stay indoors. Spring and summer warm/hot weather ends that natural encouragement and does just the opposite. People are getting cabin fever being indoors with their families, roommates, etc. 24/7. It’s human nature.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

What I don't understand is the beach lock downs. UV light is the best way to kill the virus, plus the mental health benefits with the full spectrum light.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Right... and I can’t imagine that the virus would do well, let alone survive in ocean salt water. Bacteria, yes, viruses, no. And then one county has its’ beaches open. The neighboring more populous county does not. Don’t you think that folks are going to hop into their cars and drive to where it is open and allowed?
Keep your social distance of six feet between people (which is pretty much the norm at the beach anyways) and you’re fine. Reminds me of Louisiana with “dry” towns and parishes. Folks would just drive to where they could buy their alcoholic beverages. Sunday no sales “Blue laws”? Stock up on Saturday or Friday...

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

In case you haven't heard.

The following is a joint announcement from the San Marcos 2020 Convention Leadership team and the IPMS USA Executive Board.

We jointly appreciate all the feedback we received regarding this year‘s convention. We’ve taken your comments and concerns into careful consideration, while maintaining an ongoing dialogue and negotiation with the Embassy Suites convention center in San Marcos. These negotiations have been proceeding carefully due to the significant financial exposure that IPMS would be subject to if we simply decided to cancel the convention unilaterally.

We are now prepared to announce that the 2020 National Convention is officially canceled. While this may disappoint many, including your authors, we believe it is the prudent, safe and sensible thing to do.

On a more positive note, we have been successful in negotiating the use of the Embassy Suites San Marcos location for the 2023 convention. Therefore, the rotation for the next three years, circumstances permitting, will be Las Vegas in 2021, Omaha in 2022, and San Marcos in 2023. Tentative dates for the 2023 convention will be August 2nd through the 5th. We are currently finalizing details of the contract with Embassy Suites and expect a finalized version within a week.

For those who have registered already for the convention, we will be processing your refunds. For those who have booked hotel reservations at one of the convention center hotels, it will be up to you to cancel those on your own. Vendors will be refunded their money for tables as well through our vendor coordinator, Craig Gregory. Chapters and individuals who have sponsored contest categories may also receive refunds for their sponsorships.

Again, we want to thank you all for your patience and support during these trying times, and hope that you recognize we have made the best possible decision for all under the circumstances.

For any questions please contact John Noack at: IPMSPresident@ipmsusa.org

Or Len Pilhofer at: director.nats2020@gmail.com

Respectfully submitted,

Len Pilhofer, 2020 Convention Chairman

John Noack IPMS USA President
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thank you for posting the update, Mike. As hard as it is to see this major event canceled it is harder still to see the catastrophic consequences of the virus upon our western states, in particular. With utmost respect for you and all our responders, nurses, doctors, and medical administrators all over the world, I send my very best wishes for your continued safety and our ultimate success in containing the pandemic.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Yeah it sucks but at least we get it back in San Marcos in 2023.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault

Return to “Modeling Discussion”