painting insignia.

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
LyleW
Admin

painting insignia.

Post by LyleW »

So far, I've done only one color insignias. I am probably going with a Japanese scheme on the Fiat Br-20..

Does the hinomaru have a white border or not? It looks to have one in most cases. Now, how do you cut masks to paint this. I know that it will be two circular masks of slightly different sizes. Paint the white first and pray you can line up the red?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Tojo72
Master Member

Re: painting insignia.

Post by Tojo72 »

A quick Google search turned this up,no white band.I checked out Zeros,its seems like there are plenty of examples of with and without.

https://www.google.com/search?q=japanes ... If26JrvxjM
Last edited by Tojo72 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

When I researched the Zeke, the usage of white outlines was not random - Mitsubishi did not use a white outline, for example. There are articles about Japanese aircraft including yours online; maybe a trail of bread crumbs, maybe a cornucopia of treats as you know! Google IJN BR20. Also, there are masks aplenty for insignias, just saying... no need to home brew unless you feel the need. TGIF

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/maketar ... s--1103402

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/maketar ... s--1103505
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

My understanding is it depends on the background, if it's low contrast the white surround is used. There is also the white band around the fuselage that was used on home defense airplanes. Here are the pages relevant to the question from the Donald Thorpe books.

My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

LyleW wrote:So far, I've done only one color insignias. I am probably going with a Japanese scheme on the Fiat Br-20..

Does the hinomaru have a white border or not? It looks to have one in most cases. Now, how do you cut masks to paint this. I know that it will be two circular masks of slightly different sizes. Paint the white first and pray you can line up the red?

Pre Dec.7, no white surround, for both Army and Navy. The white surround did not start appearing until 1943 or so. Even the stuff that was camouflaged in dark topside colors during the 1941/42 campaigns of conquest had the hinomaru with no surround. Some aircraft assigned to the home islands did have the white square background after Dec.7 though.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Tojo72 wrote:A quick Google search turned this up,no white band.I checked out Zeros,its seems like there are plenty of examples of with and without.

https://www.google.com/search?q=japanes ... If26JrvxjM
Tony, thanks! I’ve googled around until I was blue in the face.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

jeaton01 wrote:My understanding is it depends on the background, if it's low contrast the white surround is used. There is also the white band around the fuselage that was used on home defense airplanes. Here are the pages relevant to the question from the Donald Thorpe books.
Thank you, John!

I don’t have a ton of references, and nothing on Japan. These will go in my “Book of Tops” for sure.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Stikpusher wrote:
Pre Dec.7, no white surround, for both Army and Navy. The white surround did not start appearing until 1943 or so. Even the stuff that was camouflaged in dark topside colors during the 1941/42 campaigns of conquest had the hinomaru with no surround. Some aircraft assigned to the home islands did have the white square background after Dec.7 though.

Carlos, thanks.Good information, and going in the tip book.
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

LyleW wrote:So far, I've done only one color insignias. I am probably going with a Japanese scheme on the Fiat Br-20..

There are different ways you can do this. Prior to getting a Silhouette cutter, I cut masks for the inner and outer circles using a compass cutter. I drew guidelines running through the center of the circles with pen to help line up the masks later on.

First, I applied the larger circle mask(outer) and painted the red.

After the red paint dried, I applied the smaller circle mask (inner) and used the guidelines to help center the mask. The original mask is kept in place. The white outline is then sprayed.

With a Silhouette cutter, the masks would be easier to produce but I would use the same order presented here.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

John, that is simple, easy and brilliant! Into the tip book!

Return to “Modeling Discussion”