Suggestions for old USAF books

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Stuart
Elite Member

Suggestions for old USAF books

Post by Stuart »

Hi Guys,

Over the last few years I've been collecting old books about the RAF and FAA from the 80s and early 90s - you know the kind, those big books with lots of pictures. Asides from enjoying flicking through them and enjoying said pictures, I find them a great source of inspiration for future builds and for reference.

I have some pretty good ones for the US Navy, but I don't have anything on the USAF or USAFE.

I was wondering if you guys in the US have anything similar on your selves and could make any good suggestions? Ideally I'm looking for ones that show the types in service during the 80's. Some general history about the USAF would be cool, but I'm mainly interested in late Cold War types.

Obviously you can guess where this is going, I'm really getting into 80's jets and would like to build me some USAF bird. High on the list would be a F-111 from Upper Heyford (which is/was just up the road from me).

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Suggestions for old USAF books

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Hmmm....try looking in Barnes & Nobles website - http://www.bn.com

I might have something and am willing to part with it. I know it’s not in the greatest shape but (bindings coming apart) it has been used heavily during the 80s. Then again, I don’t even know if I still have it. Let me look to see if I still have it and post a pic.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

The Official Monogram series, Vol. 3. Pricey but packed.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

World AirPower Journal was great for such articles. The same publisher also does a few other similar series of periodicals. They have very in depth articles on aircraft, or air units from various nations, as well as then current updates on what is going on with military aviation world wide. I have a few issues in my library and they are superb for subject reference.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That's a good idea Carlos, I do have their Gulf War debrief and its a great book.
LyleW wrote:The Official Monogram series, Vol. 3. Pricey but packed.
Wow! having just looked on ebay I see what you mean, looks good though - thanks Lyle!
BlackSheep214 wrote:Hmmm....try looking in Barnes & Nobles website - http://www.bn.com

I might have something and am willing to part with it. I know it’s not in the greatest shape but (bindings coming apart) it has been used heavily during the 80s. Then again, I don’t even know if I still have it. Let me look to see if I still have it and post a pic.
Thanks Tom!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Check used bookstores you never know what you might find.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I have the full set of World Airpower Journal and Wings of Fame by the same publisher. It's where I go first in my library.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Back when Borders Bookstores were around, they always had great reference books in the cheap section. I'd buy everyone I could. I guess since you're not in the states my suggestions wouldn't help.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Wonder what shipping would be for 50 pounds of books? I just saw a tube of PPP that listed $51 and change to ship from UK to the US.....
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

International shipping rates for heavy items are terrible. Even to a US military overseas APO or FPO address it still costs quite a bit...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Modeling Discussion”