Mr surfacer..?

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Stuart
Elite Member

Mr surfacer..?

Post by Stuart »

Hi All,

Can somebody explain to me what Mr Surfacer is (I assume a primer) and what the different grades are used for?

I've obviously heard of it but never used it - but can it be used directly from a jar? Do I thin it? Can I use it to fill panel likes on a kit and then re-sand it?

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Mr surfacer..?

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Same here. I picked up a jar somewhere for the hell of it. You never know when it'll come in handy. And yes... any pointers is appreciated.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I’ve used it off and on for a decade or so now. I’m not sure exactly how to describe the stuff. But yes, I suppose it’s primary purpose is as a primer. The numbers are the different grain of the pigments, with 500 being more coarse and 1200 more fine. As a primer I simply airbrush it on, after thinning with lacquer thinner. Make sure to clean your airbrush thoroughly immediately after using the stuff. It can also be used as a filler for very small gaps and imperfections, especially along seam lines, filling unwanted or unneeded panel lines, or sink marks. Apply it with a toothpick directly from the jar after mixing the stuff, allow to dry and contract, then sand. Wet sanding works best. Repeat as needed. Lastly you use it to create surface texture, as I did on my recent Char Somua build. Apply it with a stiff brush to get the surface texture you desire such as a rough cast look. I’m sure that there are more uses, but these are my primary uses.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

:hmm: I'm with the others. I've heard and seen it used but never tried it.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

I use 500 as a filler for small gaps, 1200 grey and 1500 black as primer. I do have 1000 but I see no real use for that.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks for the info gents,

So, could I use something like the 500 to fill in panel lines? (I'm thinking Mustang wings here :hmm: )

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes. Even any of the finer grades would work. They just can be buffed out to a higher sheen if you’re doing a aluminum lacquer finish.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Carlos - I might well get some and see how I get on!

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Do it!!! :ballbat:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I also have been using Mr. Surfacer for many years as well. I use it for filling small gaps and seams mostly. I also use it for smoothing out rough surfaces that need to be smooth as it fills indentations and such well. I primarily use Mr. Surfacer 500, applying it with a brush or small spatula depending on the amount needed. I am able to sand it smooth and buff it to a nice shine with polishing pads.

I've used Mr. Surfacer 1000 from a spray can once to shoot over a model aircraft that I later polished with a fine polishing pad so I could lay down a metallic finish.

Bottom line, Mr. Surfacer 500 is my go-to for filling small to moderate seams and gaps. On the smallest seams and gaps I use Vallejo acrylic putty, and the largest ones I use either Tamiya White Putty or Extra Thick CA glue. Stuart, I Mr. Surfacer 500 would work perfectly on the seams of your Mustang wings.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Modeling Discussion”