Mr surfacer..?

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Mr surfacer..?

Post by Stuart »

Duke Maddog wrote:I also have been using Mr. Surfacer for many years as well. I use it for filling small gaps and seams mostly. I also use it for smoothing out rough surfaces that need to be smooth as it fills indentations and such well. I primarily use Mr. Surfacer 500, applying it with a brush or small spatula depending on the amount needed. I am able to sand it smooth and buff it to a nice shine with polishing pads.

I've used Mr. Surfacer 1000 from a spray can once to shoot over a model aircraft that I later polished with a fine polishing pad so I could lay down a metallic finish.

Bottom line, Mr. Surfacer 500 is my go-to for filling small to moderate seams and gaps. On the smallest seams and gaps I use Vallejo acrylic putty, and the largest ones I use either Tamiya White Putty or Extra Thick CA glue. Stuart, I Mr. Surfacer 500 would work perfectly on the seams of your Mustang wings.
Thanks for the tips Mark!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Well... I didn’t see this thread until now, but do update with your critique when it comes to you, Stuart. Cheers.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Will do Bruce, alas I've had to order it from Taiwan as these 'Mr' products are easy to get in the UK - looks like it'll arrive in January.

Tojo72
Master Member

Post by Tojo72 »

Mr 500 is great for adding texture,I use it on exhausts,brush it on then rough it up with an old brush.Many also use it to add rough texture to tanks, particularly t-34 and Sherman’s.

I use 1200 in the can for basic primer when I can get it
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

I'm about to order some from Amazon for the Super Bugs.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Tojo72 wrote:Mr 500 is great for adding texture,I use it on exhausts,brush it on then rough it up with an old brush.Many also use it to add rough texture to tanks, particularly t-34 and Sherman’s.

I use 1200 in the can for basic primer when I can get it
Interesting ideas :hmm: Thanks for the tips.

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Medicman71 wrote:I'm about to order some from Amazon for the Super Bugs.
You'll probably get yours before me!

jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

For me, Mr Surfacer is a filler first and a primer second. Just because I don't necessarily utilize primers all that much in my builds. The higher the number, the finer the consistency. 500 = coarse/thick and 1500 = fine/watery. I've been using the 1000 for an all-around filler. Pros = you can feather the edge down to plastic seamlessly. Cons = it has a strong chemical odor and it shrinks as it dries. Stuff thickens over time in the bottle but it can be thinned with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner. Once dry, it can be removed using iso alcohol. So you can use a q-tip dipped in iso alcohol to remove excess Mr Surfacer instead of sandpaper like water and Milliput. Milliput + Mr Surfacer = a good 1/2 punch when it comes to sculpting fixes and then smoothing things out.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks for the info John!

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I've used regular lacquer thinner from the hardware store to thin my Mr. Surfacer. I saved a lot bypassing Tamiya's thinner. It works just fine to thin my Mr. Surfacer.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Modeling Discussion”