Airbrush problems...

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Airbrush problems...

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I was getting ready for a simple airbrush session with my single action Paasche airbrush. I filled the cup of Createx black paint since it clearly states it can be airbrushed straight from bottle (OR thinned using their brand thinner), pressed the top button. Hmmmm.... I get air but no paint spray.

Well that’s weird. I checked side bottle. Yup... it’s in good. Tried again. Air, no paint. WTF !?!?!
By then I’m thinking a clog somewhere. I break down the airbrush, cleaned and checked every tiny hole and nothing. They’re clean. Re-assembled airbrush only this time I use water to test.

Still getting air but towel isn’t getting wet from spraying water thru airbrush. What the hell!? I even tried a backflush into bottle. Well shite, I’m not getting bubbles from the back-flush at all ! Hose isn’t even bent to prevent air from going thru airbrush.

So help a fella out and tell me what am I missing or doing wrong. I used the airbrush not too long ago and did a thorough clean after use. Had no issue then spraying. HELP!!! :bag:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Re: Airbrush problems...

Post by Stikpusher »

Try increasing the air pressure first. If that doesn’t work, try adding thinner to the paint.

You say you have a Paasche airbrush. So my next questions are what type? Single or double action? Siphon or gravity feed?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Did you check the line from the bottle to the airbrush. If you're not getting backflush bubbles that would seem an area to check
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Stikpusher wrote:Try increasing the air pressure first. If that doesn’t work, try adding thinner to the paint.

You say you have a Paasche airbrush. So my next questions are what type? Single or double action? Siphon or gravity feed?
I have tried increasing the pressure. Airbrush is a single action siphon.
tempestjohnny wrote:Did you check the line from the bottle to the airbrush. If you're not getting backflush bubbles that would seem an area to check
I have done that. That’s what’s puzzling to me. Last night, I got the cup cavity soaking in lacquer thinner. Even with the side cup attached to my airbrush, I’m shooting nothing but air. I’m going to try again this morning and see what the issue is.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Have you tried shooting (sorry) Paasch an email?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Post by midnightprowler »

Have you checked to see if the needle is actually moving? It could be slightly bent and binding.
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

LyleW wrote:Have you tried shooting (sorry) Paasch an email?
No.
midnightprowler wrote:Have you checked to see if the needle is actually moving? It could be slightly bent and binding.
Needle is a fixed attachment. The tip was slightly bent, but was fixed a long while ago. The last airbrush session after tip was repaired, it sprayed beautifully.

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

This is my Paasche airbrush. Short needle that's fixed by attachment on bottom angle slot. Nozzle cap goes in top under nozzle point. You have to place nozzle cap in first then push needle in and screw nozzle cap. cap is used for adjusting spray.

The paint cup goes into hole behind needle. It's an airbrush my grandparents gave me for my 15th birthday. So yeah, the airbrush is about 40 years old. I started using it about 4 years ago when I finally bought an air compressor.

Anyhow, I think I know what happened. I think the hole wain the top of the needle was plugged up from the last usage. BUT..... I still can't get a back flush in the paint cu no matter how I tried. Perhaps I have a small leak in my hose? I did manage to do a spray session though.

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

One thing I noticed during the spray session on the Mustang Shelby is it didn't give me a wide spray as I hoped.

I do have 2 other airbrushes - Neo Iwata and Badger. Problem is I need to find adapters for both to accommodate the air compressor hose thread. :headbang:

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That is similar to my old Badger 350, but a bit nicer. Check your needle up against a strong light source. If you can see light thru it, no clog there. If no light, swab it using a pipe cleaner soaked in lacquer thinner.Next I’d say run a pipe cleaner thru the cup pipe. That is the second most likely place for a clog. Swab it using lacquer thinner for any clogging.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Modeling Discussion”