Vallejo Model Air Questions

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Stikpusher

Vallejo Model Air Questions

Post by Stikpusher »

Ok, I am going to try out Vallejo Model Air paints for the first time in the next couple of days. Who has experience with the product line, and what sort of advice can you offer? I know that they are supposed to be used straight from the bottle with no additives. But, in your experience, have you deviated from that, or added anything to the paint for better results? What sort of air pressure do you work with for best results?
Please do tell.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: Vallejo Model Air Questions

Post by Medicman71 »

Pick them all up........throw them in the trash. I've used them for a while and I've never gotten them to spray right. They always dry up and it feels and looks like rubber paint on the model.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

:P1:

If you still want to try and use them a few tricks I have found
1. Don't have to much in the paint cup at a time
2. Don't thin with alcohol it will turn the paint to goo
3. You will have to thin them unless you have a huge needle and are spraying at 30+ PSI
4. Use either Vallejos own thinner or distilled water filtered tap water would also probably work
5. After all that if you still have not thrown them in the trash they are decent for brush painting not as good as Vallejos model color line but still decent.
6. Use Tamiya or AK Real Color and save yourself the headache.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

I second both Mike and Clint,

Not worth the money as you can find better and easier to use stuff.

I have some VMA paint bottles left, that I only use when painting deails with a brush.
Works best for me as that, which is such a paradox as these are designed for airbrushes. :bag:

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I have to agree with everyone else. I've a few Vallejo colors as well - not the Model Air though. After reading and hearing lots of horror stories, it's not worth the hassle.
Very few folks have mastered using them for airbrushing.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Woooooo.... tough crowd! :shocked: Sounds like you guys do not like the paints. Well I am going to give them a run, just to see for myself. I have the paints already, so I’m not gonna just throw them away without an honest test. The two points that I am getting are: 1, use higher air pressure; and 2, thin with their thinner or water if needed.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Might I suggest trying them out on the bottom of your surfboard? Just a suggestion based on the reviews above.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

From these reviews, the inside of the terlet may be better. Save a step on disposal? I am curious to see how Carlos makes it work, though.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

FLSM
Jeeves
Master Member

Post by Jeeves »

I dunno...I've never had any of the above issues...maybe it's the airbrush? I've used water but I've also had success using them as is...they're definitely better than AMMO by Mig paints which I tried using the other day with bad results. I use my two Badger airbrushes and spray around 15-20 psi..
Mike

Return to “Modeling Discussion”