Airbrush Stash

Show us where you work and what kits you have.
-Latest Acquisitions
Thomas_M
Admin

Re: Airbrush Stash

Post by Thomas_M »

I started airbrushing back then with a Badger. I still have some old builds I did with this one. For me a great way to try this new technique.
On a show on Switzerland I got my hands on a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution 2n1, until today my most used airbushed! I also got two more H&S Infinity airbrushes and an Iwata. Bought the Iwata after a friend had good results using it with MiG paints, but so far I am still not impressed by those paints...
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

I can't say I have a airbrush stash what-so-ever, but well...

My first step into Airbrushing was a cheap Lidl-airbrush set (up left). Even if very simple, it worked well.
Then I bought another relatively cheap double action "made-in-China" airbrush, that i used for couple of years. And as matter of fact, still do, does what I want it to do! :-)
Then I found an EFBE airbrush on a flea market, but have not used it that much. Almost a collectors item + complicated to keep clean..
And then finally, my latest "early Christmas present" from September this year, is the Haarder & Steenbeck Evolution.

I can't complain any of the airbrushes I have been using. Happy with them!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I've got a nice HAIR brush (£4-99 from Tesco's) - does that count? :bag:

Actually no - I've never used one asides from a play with the cheap Chinise one my wife uses for her cakes. I'd like to get one, but it won't happen for a while.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Years ago - I finally scraped up enough to buy the Testor's plastic gun with the aerosol can of propellant. I probably pitched it in a move (along with a B-52 and a 1/48 C-130....). This iteration, I bought a Badger 105 Patriot which has become my favorite. I have a 150 that I have yet to use and then there is the Iwata I got from Hobby Lobby on the discount table. That one still gives me fits.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

My very first "airbrush" that I purchased was the cheap Testors plastic thing as well, that relied on the propellant cans, it never failed that when you were in the middle of a painting session that the can would freeze up or it would run out of air. I dont even remember what happened to it, I did find one of the old paint bottles for it the other day and I use it to store waste thinner in. After I got back into the hobby about a year and a half ago, I went out and bought a cheap Master G-22 off of Amazon with a small compressor. While it was a good brush to learn on, it wasnt the greatest for detail work. I recently upgraded both my compressor to one with a tank, regulator and moisture trap as well as a new Paasche Talon. I've heard both the good and bad of the Talon, but I have to say, that for the price and what I've been able to do with my skill level, its perfect.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

portman wrote:I've got a nice HAIR brush (£4-99 from Tesco's) - does that count? :bag:
:rofl:

That was a good one Sturart!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

jelliott523 wrote:My very first "airbrush" that I purchased was the cheap Testors plastic thing as well, that relied on the propellant cans, it never failed that when you were in the middle of a painting session that the can would freeze up or it would run out of air. I dont even remember what happened to it,........
I had the same thing. I buried it in the back yard! (for real!)
Upgraded to an a/b, compressor combo from Harbor Freight for $90 total. (3-4 years ago). I now have 3 a/b's from Harbour Freight and a Badger 155 Anthem that a friend gave me. I use the Badger for clear coats only. The heavier sized brush from H/F (red handle) pretty much only gets used for a black primer coat, and very basic painting. A finer brush (blue handle)gets used for the vast majority of the painting, while the duplicate a/b is exclusively used for very fine work and mottling.
RexCag
Advanced Member

Post by RexCag »

Dang, model sites make me feel so danged old, sometimes.

I was looking at that "crude Testors airbrush" and remembering that one as the brush my son bought as his first basic airbrush.

My own first basic airbrush was the Blue plastic one that Badger had out about 2 decades before Testors entered the airbrush market.

I still use the "clunky" Badger 200 I got when I got bored with the blue plastic one. I have a mint example as my spare, in case something wears out on my primary 200,,,,,,,,which is just plain not likely to ever happen, what with Badger's repair policy. My only nod to getting more modern has been to get the "twisted stem" paint cup and lid for my old gravity fed 200.

But, as always, remember that I am different,,,,,,,I actually enjoy brush painting the fine detail with my tiniest hairy stick brush, so an airbrush that has it's main claim to fame being a replacement for that is not in my sights as a future purchase.
jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

CRREEEEEECCCCKKKKK Yes, I opened the tomb on this Zombie, but I was just wanting to pass along some information on an airbrush deal I jumped on today. I was just doing some browsing this morning, looking for a new needle for my Paasche Talon and some airbrush lube. I was doing some comparison shopping at a couple of other sites and found a pretty decent deal...to me anyway.
I know several people either use Badger or Iwata, and I am pretty happy with my Talon, but as most of us can attest to, its never bad to find a new tool. So, right now, Chicago Airbrush is selling the Badger Krome for $99.00 USD with free shipping in the US. Regular list price of the Krome is $194.00 USD. This brush comes with a .2 and .3 needle as well as the nozzles.
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

My wife Heidi uses a Paasche Talon and likes it a lot!

Return to “Your Work Bench and Stash”