Maddog Manufacturing Facilites...

Show us where you work and what kits you have.
-Latest Acquisitions
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Maddog Manufacturing Facilites...

Post by Duke Maddog »

...Motor pool/Air Base and Naval Base.

I was browsing these boards and came to this Forum and I just realized that I never really showed off my workbench and Hobby Room here. So, without further ado, here is my main "Manufacturing Plant" where everything gets worked on. This is at my house in my Hobby Room:

Here's my spray booth right here:

I had just gotten that stand with the little drawer on it. I was thrilled to get that!

Man, that drawer helped out a lot clearing the bench:

Now for the Air Base/Motor Pool/ Naval Base, here is the west wall of my Hobby Room, opposite the door:

This was before I started packing my small scale armor models for their big photo shoot coming up in a couple months. BTW, that clear tub with the dark blue lid on the right lower corner of this pic contains my six-and-a-half-foot-long German Panzerzueg BP-44 armored train.

Here's the East Wall of my Hobby Room, or rather half of it. This is the area above my workbench:

And here is the opposite side, next to the entry door:

The lower right corner shows my wife's sewing machine table that has taken the excess overflow of my workbench. Now, mind you; these two pics were taken quite a number of years ago, so most--if not all-- of those models on the overflow table have been completed already. You can see the end of my workbench at the left side of the pic.

Now, every month I also go to my 'satellite manufacturing plant' for a couple days of intensive model building. This is our monthly Hobby Day event that lasts for two days. Here you can see my workbench in the back between two of my friends who are working on their own projects:

Of course, this means I need to transport enough tools and supplies to be able to work on my things there. This is why I have this wonderful portable workbench/toolbox:

With all this, I can sit down and enjoy a couple days of (almost) uninterrupted model building time at a table just like the one above. I get considerably more done on these Hobby Days than most other times.

Okay, now you've had the chance to tour the facilities at Maddog Manufacturing. Feel free to stop by the gift shop and cafe on the way out and thanks for stopping by.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Re: Maddog Manufacturing Facilites...

Post by Stikpusher »

So... much... stuff... :yikes:

I remember when I had a hobby room that looked like that... :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

LOL! Thanks! Any time you want to come by and see it in person, feel free!

Those pics were taken some time ago too, especially the two on my workbench wall. There's even more stuff now! That's pretty much what 1400+ completed models looks like.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

A dedicated hobby room is so nice to have. I used to have that when I was single.....

Your work area, supplie system etc look great. But won't your models get very dusty on normal shelves?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Borg, and yes, they get very dusty. I do try to mitigate that with an air cleaner, but it doesn't fully control the situation. Still, I haven't got the room or money to get enough glass display cases to keep all 1400+ of these under glass to keep the dust off them.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Why not have a thick sheet of clear plastic to help keep the dust from collecting on the model kits? My grandfather did that on my display shelving he made for me years ago back in the 70s - 80s. He stapled them across the top and the sheet length to the bottom of the display case.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Why not have a thick sheet of clear plastic to help keep the dust from collecting on the model kits? My grandfather did that on my display shelving he made for me years ago back in the 70s - 80s. He stapled them across the top and the sheet length to the bottom of the display case.
First of all, I haven't got a display case to staple to. I would have to staple this sheet to the ceiling and both side walls, while weighting down the bottom on the floor to close out the dust. Doing that would not allow me to cover the models over my workbench. Take a closer look at my walls; you'll see what I mean, especially the West Wall. Maybe someday I'll consider it but right now, I need more space in the first place. I have models sitting on top of models because there is no place to put anything anymore.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Thank you Duke sharing those pictures with us.

I must say, I am speechless, watching them. So much, so much, almost unbelievable!

Especially all those ships, side by side, in different positions and angles...

"Astonishing" is the word that comes up first to me, looking at your Hobby room and the collection!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Kari! That is high praise. I'm still adding to all that too.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Very impressive Duke - I couldn't imagine building that many models - it's an awesome display!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Your Work Bench and Stash”