My workbench and no stash

Show us where you work and what kits you have.
-Latest Acquisitions
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Re: My workbench and no stash

Post by wjkunert »

Drifter wrote:Why are F1 kits so expensive? :scream:
Some of them like the MFH kits are all metal(mostly pot metal I believe). The parts are cast and need to be polished in a tumbler type polisher. The detail is excellent but the kits have to be soldered and super glued. The Tamiya 1/12 scale kits have a lot of detail in the drive and suspension sytems. I've built 3 of their 1/12 scale formula 1 cars and the fit and finish is typical Tamiya. Most of the really popular Tamiya 1/12 kits are sold out or out of production. sealmodel.com does have the Williams FW14B available for $85. I've built one and it's one of my favorites.
  When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

In the last couple of years Ebbro released some very nice F1 cars. From the 70's up to the 2015 McLaren.
They're reasonable priced but mostly sell out quick.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Drifter wrote:Why are F1 kits so expensive? :scream:

Another reason is the licensing fees that need to be paid to Formula One Racing....

My stash hasn't increased, but my building has come to a screeching halt. Big heat wave coupled with a failed air conditioner makes this house impossible to work in. I've been sweltering for almost two weeks.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Oh damn... your AC died with the heat wave... I feel for ya my friend. My garage was bad enough last week. It was model first thing in the morning and/or after work late at night...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Yeah, it has been a bad time this past week. I'll tell you more at AMPS if you can make it, otherwise I can PM you.

We got a new A/C up and running; this time it's a three-ton unit, twice the size my unit normally requires, so I'm able to really cool this place down! Right now I'm attending Hobby Day this weekend so I'm finally getting some things done for once. Later this week, I hope to get some airbrushing done and even finish a few models!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

So now for you A/C means Arctic Conditions? No AMPS for me again until December. Work this month and next month, then in November I'll be visiting my son out in GA at the end of my vacation. I get to see the Flying Tigers again up close!
Tell everybody I say hello if you make it to AMPS...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Yes, and I'm enjoying the cold! I did say hi to all for you when I got to AMPS; it was a great meeting.

Enjoy the Flying Tigers; I usually try to catch the Blue Angels in P'cola for a free show on Wednesday when I go east myself.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Stikpusher wrote:So now for you A/C means Arctic Conditions? No AMPS for me again until December. Work this month and next month, then in November I'll be visiting my son out in GA at the end of my vacation. I get to see the Flying Tigers again up close!
Tell everybody I say hello if you make it to AMPS...
You could swing by Kentucky, you know....
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Perhaps one day... by the time we get to GA, my time off will be running out. My wife already has this trip all planned out... :hmm:

FLSM
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Post by wjkunert »

Duke Maddog wrote:Yeah, it has been a bad time this past week. I'll tell you more at AMPS if you can make it, otherwise I can PM you.

We got a new A/C up and running; this time it's a three-ton unit, twice the size my unit normally requires, so I'm able to really cool this place down! Right now I'm attending Hobby Day this weekend so I'm finally getting some things done for once. Later this week, I hope to get some airbrushing done and even finish a few models!

I'm no trying to be a know it all but if your requirements based on cubic volume are for a 1.5 ton unit and you double it to a 3 ton unit you may create problems. An oversized air conditioner will not run long enough to dehumidify the air in your unit. The air will be cold but humid and can create a mold problem. This is a problem in a humid area like Kentucky perhaps less so in a drier climate.
  When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.

Return to “Your Work Bench and Stash”