9/11 - 15 years later...still vivid

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
Thomas_M
Admin

Re: 9/11 - 15 years later...still vivid

Post by Thomas_M »

This weekend, there was a 4+ hours documentary on 911 on German TV. Original footage, interviews with anchormen, firefighters, a lot of people involved back then. We saw footage of the terrorists passing the security gates on the airports, and while they were on flying school. At least one of them did studies on urban development at a university in Hamburg, Germany. None of the people in their surroundings ever had the idea those people were more than nice chaps, let alone terrorists.
Looking this documentary, Heidi and me went through this again. Again in pure incredulity of what we saw on the screen. Despite knowing it happened, in front of our eyes back then, and again watching this documentary; we hardly could believe it. To us it was and is beyond comprehension that humans could do this to others.
15 years have passed, but this will never go.
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

One of my co-workers met me at my house, for a ride to work. I remember the radio cutting the song short and delivering the news. My buddy (knowing I was a pilot) asked "how does someone accidently fly into a building like that". I said "that's no accident...we will be going to war in the near future". Just as we had parked, at the job...news of the second tower. I left the radio on and doors open, so we could listen while we worked...then the Pentagon....."Like I said...we'll be at war in the near future".
On the ride home...traffic was backed up over a mile, waiting to get into the gas station for $7 per gallon gas.
:hmm: ...."guess I won't be going to work until prices go back down".
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I was at work. Our son was returning from Bosnian deployment and had called his Mom. They flew over NYC 10 Sep about 10 or 11 pm. They were in Georgia, waiting to come to Louisville when it happened. Seems like they were held a day or so.

Like some may others, a large group of us gathered around a TV at the office and stood dumbfounded at this. And, it kept on. Watching the first tower come down was simply unbelievable. Can't be happening. We have friends whose son works for a prominent architect and lived in NYC. He was supposed to be in/near the towers that morning and I can't remember why he wasn't, but he was safe. He later recounted watching people jump from the towers. Can you imagine?

Gas here stayed pretty much as it was. One clown jumped 3-4 bucks and was hammered. I did get gas cans and bought about 50 gallons as I could that afternoon. Very long lines at the stations.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Aside from the obvious....what was really odd to me...

In the days following, there was that feeling of "something missing"...I just couldn't put my finger on it.
It wasn't until planes started flying again that I realized what was missing. Amazing how you can get so used to something, that you don't even realize it's there....until it's gone.
Jeeves
Master Member

Post by Jeeves »

Was at school that day- my second year teaching. Our computer lab aide told me that a plane hit the tower and the White House. Needless to say- we didn't do biology that day...every classroom had the news on that day...and I continued all night at home just shocked.

Weird thing too is where I lived at the time was under a major flyway south of the Adirondacks and that supposedly was somewhere around where the terrorist pilots turned the plane around to head to NYC...I got a chill looking up thinking on that...
Mike
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

With the no-fly rules, they asked some Civil Air Patrol units to take some missions. One of our planes was involved and I believe was flown over NYC. Strange times to be sure.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Free Discussion”