Temporarily moving to Dallas

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Temporarily moving to Dallas

Post by Modelcrazy »

I am writing this just for informational purposes, not for sympathy or anything like that. I just want you to understand what's going on and what will be going on with me.
As some of you may know I have a terminal lung disease called Idiopathic (means we don't know) Pulmonary Fibrosis. I was diagnosed with it in Dec 2010 an have slowly been betting worse. The only "cure" is a lung transplant. I went to Dallas in October this year to go through a week long pre-transplant eval. Everything ,except my lungs of course, looked great and they said I would make the perfect candidate, except for one thing, I was "temporary too well" !?!?!? Well not to worry, I caught the flu bug that was going around up here during Thanksgiving, which typically declines my breathing capacity. Everybody looses lung capacity after an illness which causes congestion, but "normal" people will recover that lost capacity withing a week or so and usually don't notice the loss because they have plenty of reserve, people with IPF will not. I took a breathing test on Dec 4th and yep, more lost ground. I have 1.9 liters capacity winch is less than a child. Normal adult males have around 6 liters. The good news is that the transplant center has decided to place me on the list as soon as I can move down there.
So today is my last day at work, and my wife and I will be packing me up for a 6 month to a 1 year, or more, move to Dallas. I will be staying at my brothers house and who lives 20 min from the hospital and we will be heading out this next week. As soon as I get there the hospital will place me on the list and the wait starts. The waiting list can be anywhere for 2 weeks to 6 months depending on several factors. Once transplanted, It will be about 1 to 1 1/2 weeks recovery in the hospital and they kick you out. I have to go through rehab and start using my new lungs as soon a possible and return for appointments 3 to 4 times a week at first. That will eventually reduce to once every 3 months at witch point I will be allowed to return to Boise with my wife who will need to stay in Boise and continue at her job. I have given a lot of thought to the fact that someone has to pass so I can live and that can bring some guilt. I spoke to the surgeon about that and he said one can not look at it that way, it was their time and they wished for someone else to live on with their donation. I know there are a few on here which have gone through transplants of their own so you probably understand my feelings. One needs to accept their gift with gratitude and live on like the donor wished. It will be great to be able to walk up a flight of stairs again and even walk down the block without using copious amounts of oxygen.
I am packing up my modeling supplies and several 1/72 and 1/144 kits to build down there. I gave Lyle my new address so I can still get on the review list with Hobyco. Stopping the hobby is not an option however I will need to be even more careful while spraying paint etc. I do not wan't to damage the gift someone had gifted me.
Anyway, this is reason I have not been very active on this or other sites. This will change, especially when I'm sitting around waiting for them to call.
This is good news and I am very excited. It's been a long 7+ year decline and lately, struggle.
Thank you for reading and yepee!! :dancing: I will be able to dance again as well!
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
Stikpusher

Re: Temporarily moving to Dallas

Post by Stikpusher »

All the best of wishes to you on this upcoming procedure, and a full rapid recovery to you afterwards.
While someone will pass in order to provide the lung, you have nothing to do with the cause of that. And by their selfless action, you get a chance to continue in life. And in a sense, part of the donor continues to live as well.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I wish you the very best. While I was reading your status update all I thought about was your very understanding and human response to organ donation. What Stick wrote, I agree with... a new set of lungs will improve your life, and allow you to continue what we or at least so many of us do when we take our health for granted. May your move go smooth! Good luck and keep writing updates. All the best and best wishes for happy holidays, good health and further joy!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Wishing you all the best and sending prayers for a speedy recovery. I agree with stik and speedgraflex as well.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Stick, Bruce and Black Sheep, thank you. With all the great thoughts and prayers, nothing can go wrong. I was packing up my hobby room tonight along with some of my stash and enjoying the fact that I will return to the rest after a period and it will be like Christmas.
Thank you.
Steve
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

All the best and prayers for you!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Thank you Lyle.

BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Good luck and strength during your treatment and recovery!
ImageImageImageImageImage
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Steve. In the time I've "known" you, you have never once cried why me. This disease may have taken some breathe from you but it did not change you. Take this gift and roll with it. Hopefully it will completely change your life. Good luck and God bless. John
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Thank you Borg and TJ,
I think the Lord has something He wants me to do later and He needs me to go through this and learn from it. I feel He thinks I, and others, can handle it and has chosen me. I just can't wait to see what it is.
Steve

Return to “Free Discussion”