I quit building plastic kits!

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
Thomas_M
Admin

Re: I quit building plastic kits!

Post by Thomas_M »

I am doing fine, back to good health! I even did some time on the bench again!
Thank you all for your good wishes, much appreciated!

I will try to do a picture of the kit mentioned above today. Carlos is sooo close... :wink:
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Now, here it is what´s on the bench today: AFV Club´s Sd.Kfz. 263 "Schwerer Panzerfunkwagen" (Heavy Armoured Wireless Car).

It has the given size including the antenna. Hope Carlos might forgive me... :whistle:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Oh I like it!

I suspected a command vehicle, but I did not imagine such an antenna... :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Yeah.... add a balloon or a bright golf ball on top, it's sure to be an easy target for Allies to pinpoint it to put it out of commission.... :giggles: :giggles:

On a serious note... I never knew they were that tall. You'd think it would be easy to spot from afar to target.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

A lovely model in progress and a stunning photo!

:shoutout:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Yeah.... add a balloon or a bright golf ball on top, it's sure to be an easy target for Allies to pinpoint it to put it out of commission.... :giggles: :giggles:

On a serious note... I never knew they were that tall. You'd think it would be easy to spot from afar to target.

Depending upon the terrain and vegetation of the area, they could be more easily camouflaged or concealed in some areas than others. And also depending upon their enemies spotting abilities as well as air situation. Location by direction finding (DF) during transmissions is a more rapid and serious threat than location by visual means.

But putting up the transmission elements of the antenna that high above the ground seriously extends the range of transmission for that vehicle. Generally speaking, the higher that the radiating element of any antenna is off of the surface of the earth, the farther away the signal it transmits can be received, without any other change such as increasing the transmitter power output.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Interesting. I get the higher the antenna, the better the reception not to mention the terrain/vegetation to hide in. Spotters be it on land or air I didn't take to consideration of whether or not they pay attention to from afar (or near).
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Such an antenna wouldn´t be too visible from far away. And those ancient wireless coms surely needed a high antenna to get a signal over the next few miles. On the other hand some adversaries didn´t even have wireless, or any equipment to locate one.
One of the reasons this got interesting for me was the surprising long antenna. I wonder how long it will stay in one piece...

Return to “Free Discussion”