Trimaster FW190A8

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Floki
Elite Member

Re: Trimaster FW190A8

Post by Floki »

speedgraflex wrote:Bravo. That blue mix is spot on! Also the Eagle Wing black sides and your approach explained more to me about my A-1 then a lot of photo research did. There is nothing like a physical model with the level of detail you put into it better. Huzzah. I could actually see that the Eagle Wing could be there underneath tons of engine smoke. You’re doing great work!
Glad I could be of help Bruce. Couple things I forgot to mention the eagle wings are Tamiya nato black. I try to avoid using straight black on anything. Tamiya smoke is pretty much transparent dark grey you can see more of the eagle wing in person than the photo picked up on. Another thing I forgot to report, I also sprayed several thin layers of Vallejo smoke randomly closer to the exhaust. Vallejo smoke is a brown black color and when thinned looks just like old nasty used oil. I really like this color and will use it show oil leaks and such on engines, hydraulic leaks etc..
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I’m the same way. I don’t paint straight up black on anything either. I’ve got NATO Black, weathered black, oil black, engine black, and a couple of other shades of black. Not all black are the same.
Whenever I do D-Day stripes, I use weathered black because it looks perfect. Regular flat black is too stark, too dark and unrealistic in my eye. Weathered black is a better black to use.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I want to thank you both for these tips. I guess I picked up a bad batch of Vallejo paint and am stubbornly holding a grudge for a bad batch and I need to grow up and get over it. I think I am gonna stand by Gunze lacquer and Model Master enamel not to be an old fuddy-duddy but just because these work well for me... but I’m definitely gonna get me some of what you mention. I know what you mean about using black. Unless it’s an anti-glare panel I feel no need to establish that much contrast. I believe model making is narrowing the contrast levels to an extant.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Don't get me wrong Vallejo is a B*tch to airbrush even the model air line I fight tip dry and clogs. I gave up trying to use it years ago so glad I found Tamiya and this AK RC. I have found the best way to thin and spray the Vallejo smoke using more DI water than paint. But when it comes to brush painting I wouldn't trade in my Vallejo paint for anything highly recommend a wet pallet when using them too.
Odin's sons... Attack!
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

That’s beautiful work Clint!
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Floki wrote:Don't get me wrong Vallejo is a B*tch to airbrush even the model air line I fight tip dry and clogs. I gave up trying to use it years ago so glad I found Tamiya and this AK RC. I have found the best way to thin and spray the Vallejo smoke using more DI water than paint. But when it comes to brush painting I wouldn't trade in my Vallejo paint for anything highly recommend a wet pallet when using them too.
I agree with you there. I have a ton of Vallejo that I really don't want to use cause of the same reasons. I'm liking the AKRC so far and I may get even more.

I like the smoke staining you did. Did you thin the Tamiya Smoke?
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Thanks for looking in Kenny!

Medic: I thinned it somewhat I added a few drops of thinner into the color cup of the AB before adding the smoke.
Odin's sons... Attack!
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I gave away my Vallejo paint to my buddy. I like lawyer and enamel paints maybe because of growing up around them and the idea of acrylic lacquer hybrids from Tamiya and Vallejo and Mig AMMO require the kind of layering finesse you put into your work, Clint. You and others here are really masters of making this paint sing.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

I love using very thin paint and building it up layer after layer it gives you a lot of control over the final color.

Ok so as of right now she is done until I get the base built.
A few things left to do.
1. Clean the canopy I have a lot of finger smudges on it
2. Add the radio antenna wire, I use EZ wire for this I add this last so I won't know it off as I'm moving the model around
3. No weathering to the wheels or gear doors has been done yet I will add that when I build the base so that they both match.

I really like the look of that blue cowl it really sets the entire model off
Thanks for looking in!
Odin's sons... Attack!
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

That's definitely one of the better looking schemes I've seen! Beautiful result and I'm looking forward to seeing what the base will look like!
John aka JKim
-----------<><

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”