Cessna T50 1/48 Squadron "Encore"

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: Cessna T50 1/48 Squadron "Encore"

Post by Medicman71 »

:wow: Damn. Did you really destroy it?
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:headslap:

I understand the frustration, but....
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Medicman71 wrote: :wow: Damn. Did you really destroy it?
Alas that does look pretty dead...

Shame, but I'm not one to comment...

Having been there (repeatedly), all I can say Lyle is forget it and move on. I have pretty much zero tolerance for crap kits these days (goodbye Airfix) so I do think you were pretty brave taking on such a pig of a kit having only just got back into your stride.

For your next time out, do what I'm doing and build something straightforward - you did after all do an damn fine job of that A-10.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

:whiteflag: :sad:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Yes, I took the hammer to it. It is in the bin. Proud of it? Nope. This is long, rant-like so feel free to skip it. Still venting and trying to determine what I want to do next. Those that offered encouragement, thank you. Really.

I have a button that, when pushed, will release the hulk within. This piece of crap finally hit that button. How do companies sell junk like this with a clear conscience at what is charged? I realize we don’t have to buy it, but I did. Three times. Fool.

Let’s see...
1. No alignment pins or help.
2. Ridiculously inadequate “tabs” and butt joints on the wings.
3. Way too many parts in the tail assemblies. Five to seven, depending on the use of the resin tail wheel parts or not.
4. Fuselage is warped.
5. Wings have alignment issues top to bottom.
6. Landing gear has almost no positive attach points.
7. Windscreen is laughably I’ll-fitting.
8. Why have the top of the fuselage as a separate piece. Yes, it was probably so they could include the optional piece,
9. Lack of some decals that are always present on military versions.
10. No instructions on cutting the resi parts from the casting blocks.

Why would you invest the time and money to add PE and/or resin on this garbage other than to get more money?

I thought I could beat this thing. Silly me. All the windows had glue smudges. Poor skills, not the kits fault.

The bottom of this thing was still sticky. Again, poor painting skills.

Thinking I was/am better than I am was also a problem. Hindsight? Don’t tackle this one now.

I did come away a bit pleased with getting the wings on.pleased with the homemade decals.

Lost a lot of detail in the area due to filling and sanding. I am more convinced nah ever that I caused the problems with the fit of the door. I don’t know how, though.

Oh, so much for a build log!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I would like to wade in while the water is still hot here mainly to offer a few thoughts on building a kit that goes South—I believe this is known to many but I am going to stay the course of my experience with kits of a certain persuasion that require a lot of effort—give the kit your best shot, add up what worked and what did not... and I think that is where most or at least I fail—I don’t spend enough time adding up the experience, techniques and processes which engage my mind and keep me thinking of creative problem solving. Let’s face it—regardless of outcome we are all a bunch of extremely creative problem solvers—so let’s start by accenting the positives always first and foremost and leave the criticism up to the critiques. If there is one job I do not want is that of a critic.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Did you just write/draw that???

Bruce you are the man...

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Somehow I just knew this would happen. It had a perfect paint job and the decals looked sensational.

Still, it's time to move on and start something that is a far easier model to do. Find those models that 'fall together' and practice your skills on them first.

Bruce, that is an awesome sign. I want one in a 2'x3' size thanks! LOL!

Lyle, take a deep breath, take a walk in the woods and relax. When you feel more rested and relaxed, get a much simpler kit and slowly get started again.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Was it the kit, or was it the sushi and BBQ chips?

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

There are a lot of great ideas here—what Stuart and Mark wrote combined are really hitting home to me. I am reminded of a thread a saw on another forum where a modeler was going to start building a vintage kit. He wanted advice about updating and how much he should do to bring the kit up to a certain standard. The kit was from the Sixties. The best advice the modeler received was from one hep cat who wrote: “Pretend it’s the Sixties and build it out of box... and ENJOY yourself.” Damn. I think I was the Modeler and I just put myself in the third person! Take that Herr Freud. But sincerely it worked. I loved building that way. And the kit just never complained really; its faults were many but in the end all was forgiven.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”