Yeah baw 1:32 Saburo Shindo Zeke!

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
KennyX
Elite Member

Re: Yeah baw 1:32 Saburo Shindo Zeke!

Post by KennyX »

Okay fellas! That’s a wrap on the engine work! Have a look:

And here it is, entombed under the cowling:

In the end, I attached the wires to the underside of the lip formed by the ignition ring. Seemed like the most straightforward option, and it worked pretty good. I’ll tell you though, before I do any more work like this in 1:72, I’m investing in a new pair of glasses (I lost mine three years ago and never got new ones), and also some better magnification! Holy cow. Fortunately for a job like this, a “close enough approximation” works well in the end. Once the cowling is on, the wires give a good enough impression of ignition wires. And it’ll be even better with the prop obscuring the view even more. You’ll see just enough for your brain to fill in the blanks and complete the picture.

The Blue Black? I went completely off the reservation with that one. It’s:

Three to four drops of Tamiya Flat Black
Two drops of Tamiya Sea Blue
Two drops of Tamiya Blue
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very nice Kenny!!

I use one of those Opti-visors more often than not lately, and that's WITH glasses on.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

That work looks so fantastic it’s hard to tell the scale. Also everything you are doing fits within the impeccable level of finish you are bringing to the kit. Incredible job.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

Bruce and Mr. Medicman-

Thank you guys so much.

I am more happy with these results than my previous work wiring up the 1:48 A6M3’s engine which I guess I’m coming up on the one year anniversary of. And I believe it beats the work I’ve done on all my Corsair engines, as well.

Now, I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that this engine is so small. Good Lord, it’s tiny. Minuscule. It’s easier not to worry about mistakes when working so small, I found. And shoot- the aperture you view it through is what, the size of a dime at most? So all that being said- so far I like super-detailing 1:72 the best. 1:72 has a lot to offer if the kit is really good and you’re into it and use your imagination.

I have a 1:72 Hayate that’s a very vintage kit. Not sure if I could get the same results with that one... I feel like I’m in kind of a weird space with this stuff because Tamiya, I’ve found, makes really good kits. The detail with this one, in 1:72, was quite frankly amazing to me. I couldn’t not add wiring to the cockpit and engine.

Ignore all the shit that I added and just appreciate the detail of the kit and then remind yourself that this cockpit module fits inside a bottle cap:

I just really like their kits. They do a really good job.

Anyway, thank you again for the kind words on my completed engine work.

I absolutely agree that determining “scale” in the photos is difficult and I appreciate that affirmation. That’s one of the goals I had in mind with this little airplane.

Next up: LANDING GEAR!

The mind boggles.
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Tamiya just shrunk their 1/48 zero. the detail in this kit is just outstanding plus all that you added to the cockpit and engine really takes it over the top. So what are your plans for the landing gear?
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Wow! That cockpit is tiny! And that is some exceptional miniature detail work on your part!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

Floki wrote:Tamiya just shrunk their 1/48 zero. the detail in this kit is just outstanding plus all that you added to the cockpit and engine really takes it over the top. So what are your plans for the landing gear?
Floki,

Thank you! As to the landing gear, I am definitely adding brake lines. I’d wanted to also wire the gear bays, but the manner in which they were molded doesn’t lend to drilling them out very well with my ideas and admittedly rudimentary tools. But that’s okay. The landing gear will look nice with the brake lines added. OH! And I gotta get started with that canopy masking too, I forgot all about that.
Stikpusher wrote:Wow! That cockpit is tiny! And that is some exceptional miniature detail work on your part!
Thanks Carlos! I’m very happy with this one.
Kenny X
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Holy crap, that’s tiny! My eyes will get all crossed eyed detailing a 1/72scale cockpit. You make it look all too easy. I couldn’t do that. Well done, Kenny! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

Thank you so much! And I’m with ya- with this project comes much eye strain, for sure :lol: hence my newfound enthusiasm for better magnification. I want to keep enjoying 1:72 scale and in order to do that, I need to upgrade my magnification. I have an optivisor, but it’s cheap and well, just barely gets the job done here. And I need new glasses, of course. I’ll get all that sorted out.

Here’s some shots of this little thing I took this morning:

Kenny X
Handiabled
Master Member

Post by Handiabled »

Looks fantastic!

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”