Stuart's Aircraft of the Royal Air Force in WWII

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Bish
Master Member

Re: Stu's Aircraft of the Royal Air Force in WWII

Post by Bish »

John, Arma Hobby have been release a range of Hurricane kits, a number of them with 303 Sqn markings.
'I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so'
On the bench: Revell 1/72nd Type VIIc U-Boat
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I am kinda partial to the odd Spitfire - even if I've built too many, and whilst the legend of 303 will live for ever I'm sure, there were plenty of very good RAF pilots that weren't Polish so...

That Typhoon scheme was really cool Mike - but what really stands out for me is the nose radome. I helped make that :grin: (and all the other grey bits still painted grey).

Picked this up from a LHS that I didn't know was there today - I didn't really need it but it's good to give them some support.

Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

portman wrote:One of the nice things that building my Spitfire has reminded me about, was my love of all things RAF, especially the aircraft that the service used in WWII.

It's about time I built them.

Tally ho!
Best Mission Statement. Proud of you. It’s tough for me to write within this thread for emotional reasons. I immediately begin thinking of the stories of the Blitz, and how that felt for my grandparents... then I start thinking about all of the bomber designs which were created and the impact that the British have had on aircraft engineering as a result... and I find it hard not to credit the role of the Spitfire as a design that impressed itself in the development of the P-51D... so I’m basically extremely excited and now looking at bombers too... carefully though. Those are big beasts in any scale. Definitely not shy and retiring. I’m so excited and happy for you to begin this project, Stuart. Congratulations.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Stuart I'm looking forward to seeing this too. While there are a lot of British aircraft I've not built, I do have quite a sizable RAF, including a plane or two from the RFC. I have built all the British WWII heavy bombers except for the Shorts Stirling. I do want to get a Lancaster Dam Buster though someday. I'll be eagerly watching this thread.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Mark, hasn’t Airfix come out with a new tool Stirling sometime in the past few years?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:Mark, hasn’t Airfix come out with a new tool Stirling sometime in the past few years?
Not Airfix but Italeri did a few years back. Supposed to be a nice kit by all accounts.
Duke Maddog wrote:Stuart I'm looking forward to seeing this too. While there are a lot of British aircraft I've not built, I do have quite a sizable RAF, including a plane or two from the RFC. I have built all the British WWII heavy bombers except for the Shorts Stirling. I do want to get a Lancaster Dam Buster though someday. I'll be eagerly watching this thread.
Thanks Mark!

I'd really like to get the Heavies done as well although I'm going to start off with some of the medium and light bombers. The Dambusters Lanc would be fun too - plenty of good kits about for that. I've almost finished the Spitfire and then it'll be onto something else.
speedgraflex wrote:
portman wrote:One of the nice things that building my Spitfire has reminded me about, was my love of all things RAF, especially the aircraft that the service used in WWII.

It's about time I built them.

Tally ho!
Best Mission Statement. Proud of you. It’s tough for me to write within this thread for emotional reasons. I immediately begin thinking of the stories of the Blitz, and how that felt for my grandparents... then I start thinking about all of the bomber designs which were created and the impact that the British have had on aircraft engineering as a result... and I find it hard not to credit the role of the Spitfire as a design that impressed itself in the development of the P-51D... so I’m basically extremely excited and now looking at bombers too... carefully though. Those are big beasts in any scale. Definitely not shy and retiring. I’m so excited and happy for you to begin this project, Stuart. Congratulations.
Thanks Bruce!

Very many stories - my Great-Grandmother had some that sounded like they were out of a film!

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Wow! A fair bit has happened since I started this thread in 2019 and then kind of forgot about it...

Real life has been maxed out of late, so I decided to start something simple...

I got the interior parts build up earlier whilst resting my foot, which is in rather a lot of pain.

And then painted with Hataka interior green.

I have a set of extradecal decals for this kit, as I have three others in the stash and thought it would be good to do something other than the box art. I'm going to do this camo over black example as it's kind of different from the norm...

Cheers!

keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Cool! I did the 1/48 Airfix kit a couple years ago
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Oh very nice Stuart! I’m looking forward to watching you build this one!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Very nice! The Boulton Defiant is one bird I wouldn’t mind having in my stash. I’ll be following this one.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”