Guillows 1/24 DHC-2 Beaver

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
mustang1989

Re: Guillows 1/24 DHC-2 Beaver

Post by mustang1989 »

You're a better man than me for tackling one of these kits. The last time I tried one of these I nearly lost it. :shocked:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

mustang1989 wrote:You're a better man than me for tackling one of these kits. The last time I tried one of these I nearly lost it. :shocked:
I’m am about there with you. For the life of me, I cannot get the floats to attach. There is nothing to attach to. I’ll keep after it. You should give it another try.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Looks like parts X3 and X4 which come with the float kit (one for each float) serve as locating points for the three struts which are attached at the float, then each strut goes to a spot on the fuselage. I don’t have page two of the instruction scan for the floats, but I would guess that you need to create three hard points from balsa (two similar to the X3 and X4 parts and a third block at the engine collar mount.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That, they do.but, they are not angled so you guess. There are no “hints on the fuselage. Don’t think there is a page two. Thought of going what you suggested, but the stringers are really close together. May try to get some pictures.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

The prop blades look good Lyle. Hope you figure out the floats soon.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thank you Clint. I hope so, too!
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

My suggestion is based on what I would do. I would get some cardboard scraps like the back of an old legal pad piece and cut out cardboard forms of the struts, then glue these to any old round tube then bend and finesse the cardboard until you have a working jig basically. I don’t know which would be the hardest to locate—methinks it would be the two struts going to the belly sides and not the one that goes to the engine collar? Lemme know.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Certainly something to think about. Thanks! I appreciate the suggestions as well as the thought you put into them. I’m grateful for that
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I always enjoy following your work, Lyle—especially these days! How many of us could use the challenge of building the skeleton and not the exterior skin??? I know I could use the refresher course in aircraft anatomy. Cheers, bud.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
pzl66
Master Member

Post by pzl66 »

LyleW wrote:
portman wrote:Such a sexy looking light aircraft the 337!

Great work on those prop blades Lyle!
Yeats ago, in the Civil Air Patrol, we could get surplus USAF stuff. I was told a story that we has the opportunity to get a dozen or so of these. All airworthy. We just had to go get them. We passed on it. Dumb.
Civil Air Patrol has been known to do dumb things at times... Such a shame!
Messerschmitt 109 Addict

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”