1/32 Revell Bf109G-6/AS Hohenjager

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jkim
Elite Member

1/32 Revell Bf109G-6/AS Hohenjager

Post by jkim »

A new project! With my Corsair build on the downhill side and me struggling with the scribing work on the Ta152H, I wanted a change of pace and decided to start introduce a new build. I am going to convert the Revell Bf109G-6 kit into a Bf109G-6/AS. This conversion utilized the Daimler Benz DB605AS engine with improved high altitude performance. Physically the G-6/AS is characterized by a new smooth engine cowling that deleted the characteristic "beule" bulges over the MG131 cannons mounted on top of the engine.

The genesis of this project is rooted in me having the G-6 as a donor kit for an older G-10 build. I needed to the smaller wing bulge parts but otherwise the kit was complete and I wanted to make use of it. When Alexey at AMUR Reaver produced his G-6/AS resin cowling, I thought this was a great opportunity to utilize a kit I already had. So....

I had swapped out the smaller wing bulge from the G-6 kit with the larger wing bulge from the G-10 so these would need to be replaced.

I picked up a set of the smaller bulge wing parts from Barracuda Studios, which I hope is a drop-in replacement.

The core of the conversion is the AMUR Reaver resin cowling. It is cast in a cream color, similar to the resin that Barracuda Studios uses. There is some discoloration in the casting but it does not seem to manifest itself in the smoothness of the surface.

The cockpit will be replaced with Aires resin. I had very good experiences with the Aires resin cockpit for the Revell G-10 build and am crossing my fingers that this set will be similar in design and execution. Three different breeches for the gun firing through the prop spinner... does anyone know which one(s) would be appropriate for the G-6/AS?

The kit prop and spinner features an awkward seam resulting from trapping the prop blades between the forward half and back half of the spinner. This design also makes painting of the spinner difficult. To alleviate these issues, I'm going to use Barracuda Studios resin prop and spinner.

The kit wheels will be exchanged for a set of Barracuda Studios resin wheels.

The kit exhausts are not hollow so I'm replacing them with a Barracuda Studios resin exhaust and supercharger intake set.

And finally... another resin/metal prototype for the landing gear!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Re: 1/32 Revell Bf109G-6/AS Hohenjager

Post by jkim »

Last night, I wanted to take a break from the Corsair and Ta152H build so I took a look at the AMUR Reaver resin cowling for the Bf109G-6/AS conversion. I removed the casting blocks from the parts with a razor saw. The casting block for the cowling piece had a nested set of small fairings which needed to protected.

The panel lines were of irregular depth and consistency so I reinforced them with the scriber. Of course, my blade skipped a few times, which required some minor putty work.

The required surgery on the kit fuselage parts is quite easy compared to the AMUR Reaver cowling replacement for the G-10 Erla.

A preliminary fitting of the resin engine cowling onto the fuselage.

I had left some excess plastic on the top edge of the forward fuselage cut so I was able to square off that joint. Preliminary fit of the AMUR Reaver cowling is very encouraging.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I do love those Aires sets. A few years back it seemed like there was a lot of fit problems with them but I've had decent luck out of 'em the last few times I've used the interior sets.
This looks like it's going to be shaping up very nicely with all of the "goodies" that you have for it.
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Lots of nice goodies going into this. Will be watching.
'I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so'
On the bench: Revell 1/72nd Type VIIc U-Boat
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Should be interesting to watch. Any idea when them landing gear prototypes will be on the market?
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

mustang1989 wrote:I do love those Aires sets. A few years back it seemed like there was a lot of fit problems with them but I've had decent luck out of 'em the last few times I've used the interior sets.
This looks like it's going to be shaping up very nicely with all of the "goodies" that you have for it.
I know they've been much maligned for, even now, but I've used Aires products on a number of builds and have never had major issues with fit. I've had a better track record of success with Aires than other brands such as Eagle Editions or Barracuda. And I think that will continue with this build... see below!
Bish wrote:Lots of nice goodies going into this. Will be watching.
Yes and I may be adding more goodies. I don't like how the Barracuda Small Bulge wings are fitting.
Floki wrote:Should be interesting to watch. Any idea when them landing gear prototypes will be on the market?
I don't have a date but I've been told it will be soon. I've been sent landing gear prototypes for the Revell Bf109G and Fw190A/F, Hasegawa 109G/K and Fw190D-9 and the Z-M Ta152H. Like em much better than the all-metal gear as they are much easier to work with.

I've matched the Barracuda prop spinner to the AMUR Reaver cowling... looks good to go.

Before jumping into the details of the resin cockpit, I wanted to check the fit of the major components: the cockpit tub and the two sidewalls.

Based on my experience with the Aires G-10 cockpit, I left the huge casting block on the cockpit tub intact for now. Fit between the three components is not perfect but decent.

And like my experience with the G-10 build, the G-6 cockpit tub seems to fit into place without any removals or thinning required. The gap in the fuselage framing above the engine is easily closed with light finger pressure.

There are no "positive" locating tabs to utilize so I'll have to base final placement of the cockpit in relation to other parts such as the rear cockpit sill. And I'll probably have to remove some of that casting block in order to accommodate the spars for the wings but right now, I'm very happy with the Aires cockpit set. Threw on the AMUR Reaver cowling and clear parts for good measure.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

What a fascinating project John - I'll be following with interest. I'm seriously impressed with the fit of all of those resin pieces - that's the first time I've seen them fit with a minimum of fuss.

Great stuff!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks Stuart!

Jumping from one build to the next breaks up the monotony but also introduces lapses of inconsistency to the work flow. An exceptionally busy work schedule the last few days has prevented me from taking on major tasks on any of my three current builds but I've been doing small bits here and there.

The Aires resin pit looks pretty awesome. The only casting imperfection I've seen so far is a big air bubble at the base of the control stick, which should be easy to fill.

After the preliminary dry-fit of the resin cockpit tub, I've been trying to further fine tune the fit. It looks like removing the diagonal locating ridges on the inside of the fuselage sides will help reduce the need to thin plastic/resin.

The casting block for the cockpit tub has been partially shaved back to make room for the wing spars.

Another round of dry-fitting is in order to make sure the wing spar can be accommodated. In addition to giving strength to the wing/fuselage joint and helping to ensure the proper dihedral, the spar also forms the front wall of the wheel wells.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

A nice bit of fettling John - That's looking even better.

I do love the look of these resin cockpits, but of the half dozen I've tried I've never managed to get one to fit... :hmm: Perhaps I should have another go. I certainly find your work inspiring.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks Stuart!

Filling the strange gap in the Aires seat back. I don't have any good photos of a 109G seat but I am going to assume that both the kit part and Barracuda Studios are more accurate in this regard.

John aka JKim
-----------<><

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”