1/32 Revell Bf109G-6/AS Hohenjager

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
speedgraflex

Re: 1/32 Revell Bf109G-6/AS Hohenjager

Post by speedgraflex »

Apologies, John. I thought something looked different about the gun cover when I first saw your cockpit, then I signed off before noting that, to look up the G-6 photos online. I think it is more squared off than rounded; I found a couple of images of a G-14 cockpit from a museum that still has the cover installed. Here is one:

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

KSaarni wrote:Amazing details in that cockpit and amazing paintwork as well!

Have never had an Aires AM cockpit myself.. yet.

- Kari
I used an Aires on my Arado 234. That aircraft lends itself to showing ALL of the interior and they did a great job with it. Fit was good, details were good and all I can say is you should try one. You won't regret it.
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Only one person mentioned it but it happened to be Vincent K, who, I believe, is an acknowledged authority on Luftwaffe aircraft. The Revell G-6 kit offers two covers, one labelled as EARLY and one labelled as LATE. I used the resin version that matched the LATE one and I believe it is for the Mk108 cannon. I think I need to use the one that is for the MG 151/20mm cannon.

The Aires set offers three covers. The one on the far right matches the Revell one labelled EARLY so that is the one that I'm gravitating toward. I've already got a coat of AS-12 silver on it as a base for chipping. It seems to match the one in the G-14 photograph that Bruce just posted.

Aires has a bad reputation for fit but I've had nothing but positive experiences using their products. I think some things, such as enclosed cockpits, are easier to fit than others or maybe I've just been lucky. Anyways, the molding quality of resin on Aires products in really high and I'll continue to use and recommend them. The details printed on acetate for the instrument gauges is the better than anything else I've seen.
Last edited by jkim on Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I have a Trumpeter Gustav in 1/32; I believe this G-10 also features the squared cover. I was drawn to the way you detailed the clasp which seals the two halves - that’s when I wondered. I also believe with your talent any cockpit looks great! Good luck with finding your solution.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Not a big deal. Vincent tends to swoop in and strafe me with corrections and then zooms away before giving any recommendations. It was the same for the seat... he just said the Aires seatback was wrong but didn't elaborate. Sometimes it's enough to know something is not correct and then use whatever resources are available to make the correction.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I assume this is who Vincent K is...

http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/bf109cockpitbg_1.htm
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Yah! Formerly associated with MDC (he was kind enough to donate some MDC decals to my K-4 build). Author of this article too...

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/k4bellyvk_1.htm
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

The wing joints have been filled and finished. All I have to do is re-scribe the panel line and then I can apply rivets.

I took the time to sort through my stash of aftermarket items. I've collected these over the past year or so in anticipation of future builds and I started to lose track of what I had. So I thought a good housecleaning and organizational exercise was in order. The vast majority of this stuff is for the Fw190D and the Bf109G/K.

I'm also gathering a stack of model kits too...
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

I used an Aires cockpit in a F-16 that I never finished cause I screwed up the paint job really bad. You have really sand the crap outta the cockpit to get it to fit and even then I had issues with it.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

And then you have the case of the Aires cockpit and the Revell 109G kits. No thinning required. I didn't even have to remove the casting block to get the cockpit tub to fit in the fuselage.
John aka JKim
-----------<><

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”