1/32 Revell Bf109G-6/AS Hohenjager

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jkim
Elite Member

Re: 1/32 Revell Bf109G-6/AS Hohenjager

Post by jkim »

I am finally approaching the important milestone of gluing the AMUR Reaver resin cowling onto the fuselage. I've been constantly checking the fit and foresee no major issues but you just never know until the glue hits the plastic. But first I have to attach the Quickboost gun barrels from inside the cowling. This was done using blobs of Milliput so that I could make sure that the guns are pointed true. I've also painted the gun barrels and the gun troughs. There may be an opportunity to mask this off to save me some painting later.

And finally, the time has come... using JB Kwik Weld 2-part epoxy, the resin cowling is permanently affixed. The JB Kwik Weld is perfect in this situation since it starts to cure about five minutes, allowing me time to make slight adjustments. It's also quick enough for me to hold parts in position without using clamps.

As the dry-fitting showed, the fit is pretty good but obviously gaps need to be filled and the some edges will have to be faired in using Milliput. I also see a few errant rivet lines that can be corrected.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

That looks good attached I'm sure that slight gap won't be any trouble for you to fix
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

I never really thought twice about FW’s until I met you, John. Holy cow did your work make me a believer.

As to this 109 here, I’m happy to see you having success with the resin cowling parts. I’ll always honor you for using putty on previous Dora cowlings to achieve just the right contours and proportions, I think that’s awesome and inspirational. That said, I really, REALLY like the shape of that resin cowling. Looks both mean and elegant and beautiful all at the same time. Those lines. Can’t get over them. It’ll add a lot of what will be an already fantastic finished project.
Last edited by KennyX on Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! Although there a lot of Bf109 kits out there, none of them have managed to capture what I consider to be the essence of the late war G/K cowling in its funky asymmetric bulging glory. That's what I like about the AMUR Reaver cowling!

Checking to see if the Barracuda spinner fits...

Round 1 of the filling work is to shove Milliput into the gaps and then wipe away the excess with moist paper towel.

And... the wings have been glued together!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

After the Milliput dries, I've dabbed on some Mr Surfacer 1000 and began the sanding process. So far so good as a preliminary shot of primer shows.

The chin intake was glued in. There are some gaps that will need to be addressed with Milliput.

The control surfaces for the wings have been finished and are awaiting the completion of the cowling cleanup for attachment.

I've dabbed on some more Mr Surfacer 1000 on the cowling joints and I'm going to let it cure for TWO WEEKS to ensure no shrinkage. :wink:

This will be last view of the G-6 that you'll have for awhile. Will be back in a couple of weeks to resume.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Great clean up the seams look really good. Have fun on your vacation!
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Awesome work! Stay safe and healthy on your vacation!!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Happy Holidays John!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That is superb bit of assembly work John - very nicely done!

Enjoy your Hols!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Hello again! I'm back home after my travels and like everyone else, trying to maintain some sanity in these crazy times. Since I traveled internationally, my work place asked that I work from home for the next two weeks. Which is fine by me as it allows me some... ahem... "flexibility" to re-adjust to the West Coast time zone. Gonna pick up my daughters from UC Berkeley and UC Davis as they are going to do the online class thing until further notice. Berkeley is in lock-down mode so hopefully, we don't run into issues moving and whatnot. Like I said, crazy times.

I hope everyone is well! I've been easing back into the modeling thing but haven't really jumped back into it full bore. Still ruminating on my trip... processing and posting all of the pictures I took... and simply missing the people there. I'm also getting a GoFundMe effort going to help one medical students I know who's been having health issues. I happened to be there when her condition worsened to the point of seizures and loss of consciousness... not good. Anyways...

So despite the coziness of self-quarantine, I've been busy doing this and that. When I last left the G-6, I had slapped on some Mr Surfacer putty along the main join between the AMUR Reaver engine cowling and the fuselage. That's been sanded, touched up with more putty and sanded again. I've worked on all of the joints and have re-scribed and riveted where necessary. I just shot the joints with Mr Surfacer 1200 through the airbrush to review the work so far.

The joint on the starboard side at the cockpit came apart during riveting and will need to re-secured before moving forward.

Popped the spinner into place and took a few more pics. There is some minor clean-up to do still but it looks good enough to move forward on this build.
John aka JKim
-----------<><

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”