1/32 Revell Bf109G-6/AS Hohenjager

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jkim
Elite Member

Re: 1/32 Revell Bf109G-6/AS Hohenjager

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! It looks like the instruments are not quite centered within the dial faces but I think that is simply the camera perspective. But I'll have to double check.

I've gone through several frustrating rounds of painting the cockpit tub.

First Try...
I painted the seat and footrest area Tamiya AS-12 Silver and the bucket was handbrushed in brown to replicate wood construction. I then applied MiG Scratches Effect and then RLM 66 over everything. The chipping from the MiG Scratches Effect was way too extreme (big chunks) and so I started over.

Second Try...
This time I used good old hairspray but forgot to paint the bucket brown. I was going to accept that mistake since the harnesses would cover most of the seat anyway. The chipping started really good but I got overly aggressive in one area and ruined it.

Third Try...
So I wiped it away and started over with the AS-12 for the third time. By this time, all of this wiping had started to reveal the repair seam on the seat back. So I started a round of sanding/filling.

I'm halfway through the process of repairing that seam and I'll be applying the base silver on the cockpit tub for a FOURTH time. I'll try to remember to paint the seat bucket brown.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Well, I feel ya about sideways moments. I have been struggling with a side job painting wood framed logging disconnects, so I keep using the backs of the kit parts for painting solutions. The depth is tough to achieve with plastic. I have never used the Mig system but I find for hairspray chipping that Gunze makes a really fine cheesecloth (grits are 400-2000) which I buy at the Gundam store. I hate suggesting a product purchase as a maybe fix, but the thought of you repainting made me think this is a potential solution. The techniques with Gundam are quite close to ours regarding abrasions and “battle damage.” PM me and I’ll send you some samples....
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

How does the cheesecloth idea work with the hairspray technique?
John aka JKim
-----------<><
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Despite its name, this is extremely gentle!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

I'm still not sure how the cloth relates to the hairspray chipping technique. :hmm: Normally, I use a stiff paint brush dipped in water to slowly loosen the paint layer above the hairspray. Are you saying you use the polishing cloth instead of a brush?

Using the small bulge pieces from a new 109G-6 donor kit, I've glued the upper wings together so that I can address the riveting prior to gluing the wing halves together. This is a good candidate for riveting due to the lack of panel lines on the wing surface. Riveting will add some sorely needed depth/detail to the surface.

Using some left over Quickboost resin gun barrels, I've grafted new barrels to the kit gun barrels.

I've completed most of the painting on the Aires resin cockpit parts. I've dressed it up a bit with a few Airscale placard stencils.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That is just fantastic work John!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Seconded. Fantastic cockpit paint! Lovely work, John. Yes, I use MRP Grinding Cloths to scrape the finish away in corner edges. Your brush and hairspray techniques need nothing added to them so the point is moot, I feel.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Nice n' busy in there John. Worn areas look well balanced. Not to much and not too little.
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! The Aires cockpit has some of the finest wiring detail that I've seen in resin and the detail painting has been challenging. And I'm consciously trying to incorporate more weathering into my cockpits.

Ooops.... I just found out that I've used the wrong cannon breech cover so I'll set this one aside for a future build.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Amazing details in that cockpit and amazing paintwork as well!

Have never had an Aires AM cockpit myself.. yet.

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”