Academy 1/72 Corsair F4U-1A, Tommy’s Big Hog, Ondongo, 1943.

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
speedgraflex

Re: Academy 1/72 Corsair F4U-1A, Tommy’s Big Hog, Ondongo, 1

Post by speedgraflex »

Thank you, sir! Sincerely! Does the factory supplied label on the red thingie slash possible engine controller “Supercharger Throttle Mixture?” It looks like this is/was/will be mounted to the side wall.

Imagine if we had the original photo. So much detail.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

You could probably blob together something pretty quick to stand in for the throttle quadrant but I wouldn't get bogged down into the nitty-gritty details. Not much will be discerned if the canopy is posed in the closed position. Looking forward to seeing you button up that fuselage and ultimately get to the exterior painting.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks for your reply, John. The more little pieces, the easier to paint—especially as this cockpit seems to be chock full of gizmos! Good advice, though. Thanks very much!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Have fun replicating that lot Bruce - it looks like it'll keep you busy for a while.

You might find these useful http://mikegrantdecals.com/shop/product ... -war-ii-3/
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks for the link, Stuart. I am, indeed, having fun. I always ask myself if the scratchbuilding is warranted first, then I set a goal that my scratchbuilding must make the grade established by the kit itself, in this case, a basic kit with good bones. The fit is excellent, btw. No worries there. I usually carve 30 mins to an hour out where I can to do any model building work, and I have been slower here due to a lot of other matters, but I am enjoying this project. I personally do not get worked up too much over these issues. Negative emotions and small sharp tools do not bond together well. I prefer to go at my own pace and redo often. The trim wheel is too far forward, the box for the flap actuator is out of scale, for example. I can redo, adjust if necessary. What I am passionate about is building models and learning from others. Both sustain me.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Bruce, it's good that you have considered the possibility of attending the Valleycon. It is on a Sunday so any job search efforts can be set aside for a day. Still; that being said, I also pray hard for your employment, as I understand how you feel now.

Your work on this Corsair is exemplary. It will be interesting seeing your attempts to add more detail to the cockpit; I for one usually just close it up. Your skills far surpass mine in that area which is why I don't make that effort.

I'm looking forward to seeing more. Keep plugging along my friend!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I went straight away to EventBrite to price tickets, and I took out one EVA Pod and one Aries 1B that are garage kits to check the electronics. I need 9 volt batteries. I assume there is no entry fee for the contest part? Anyway, the main thing I want to convey is gratitude to you. You have always been supportive. I believe Scale Plastic Aircraft Modeler’s greatest strength comes from its supportive members.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

speedgraflex wrote:Thanks for the link, Stuart. I am, indeed, having fun. I always ask myself if the scratchbuilding is warranted first, then I set a goal that my scratchbuilding must make the grade established by the kit itself, in this case, a basic kit with good bones. The fit is excellent, btw. No worries there. I usually carve 30 mins to an hour out where I can to do any model building work, and I have been slower here due to a lot of other matters, but I am enjoying this project. I personally do not get worked up too much over these issues. Negative emotions and small sharp tools do not bond together well. I prefer to go at my own pace and redo often. The trim wheel is too far forward, the box for the flap actuator is out of scale, for example. I can redo, adjust if necessary. What I am passionate about is building models and learning from others. Both sustain me.
Not a bad way to go about it Bruce!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Placement adjustments done.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

speedgraflex wrote:I went straight away to EventBrite to price tickets, and I took out one EVA Pod and one Aries 1B that are garage kits to check the electronics. I need 9 volt batteries. I assume there is no entry fee for the contest part? Anyway, the main thing I want to convey is gratitude to you. You have always been supportive. I believe Scale Plastic Aircraft Modeler’s greatest strength comes from its supportive members.

The cost of entry of you wish to enter models is $10.00. I think that covers the first three models; there may be a charge for additional ones beyond three, but I don't see it on the flyer. I plan on being there early; if you wish, I'd be happy to pay your entry fee. Besides, you could bring the present you got me a year or two ago! LOL! :bag: :giggles: :lashed:

Corsair is looking great! Cockpit looks fantastic in there.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”