Academy 1/72 Corsair F4U-1A, Tommy’s Big Hog, Ondongo, 1943.

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Academy 1/72 Corsair F4U-1A, Tommy’s Big Hog, Ondongo, 1

Post by Duke Maddog »

That's the idea. I want to capture the worn look without the 'damage'. After all, these were used pretty extensively.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks, gents. Duke, I started looking up railway guns to see how these looked. Huge beasts! I remember both of your 1/72 models are absolutely incredible!!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Duke Maddog wrote:That's the idea. I want to capture the worn look without the 'damage'. After all, these were used pretty extensively.
Yes they were, but with lots of down time between uses. Especially against western forces who had superiority. They were kept concealed in tunnels a lot and only rolled out for a few quick shots, then put away again. That insured their survival.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

I'm not sure what that is but it looks great. My first thought was... ahhh, so Bruce DOES know how to finish a piece! I want to see those painting/weathering skills on an aircraft!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks for your thoughts, John! I laughed - chuckled - then I shook my head. Too true! I wonder too about my model building status. Each time I begin will I see it through to the end? Always starting; never finishing; I was certain my credibility was at a low ebb, and that I would soon be swept out with the rising tide. Anyway between this and the Galileo Shuttlecraft (Star Trek) I am building for a review there is a renewal process happening, and completion is definitely being addressed. Even the Dark Corsair was looking forlorn for awhile.

To answer what is it, Logging Disconnects are a pair of wheeled platforms with logs resting between them. I found a German illustration (Fig. 700):

A great photo!

Detailing the deck was a fun project; Fran Foley molded the wood grain so well, but the planks themselves were molded as one piece which simply would not serve for a realistically used logging disconnect. At first I thought I would simply cut out the planks then reassemble them but that was my complicated thinking at work. I needed a simpler solution so I started by trimming the ends and fraying each plank separately, then I gently scored the plank almost all the way through so that a close inspection would still read as a separation.

Reference 1 and 2.

I remember when I first saw propellor blades you painted (Henri’s I think) I was just so excited to finally see grain structure beneath the color coats. That’s the kind of detailing that goes a long way towards an amazing final flourish! I’m pretty sure the color was a lovely complex grayish green with a hint of black to it. Spot on! Now I will visit your Gustav and gently cry “Mea Culpa” for not realizing the tires must reflect the angle of the struts.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

It was meant to be a facetious comment so I'm glad it was interpreted correctly! No need to apologize... I was just surprised at the skill that you obviously have in depicting wear on that railroad piece. Something a bit unexpected and very good to see. It's awesome to see those skills. Just wanna see your artistic take on aircraft, that's all! :wink:
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Bolleken
Master Member

Post by Bolleken »

speedgraflex wrote:Image

Placement adjustments done.
Looks like a perfect fitting. Scratchi cockpit well done so far. Now it is crying for paint! Keep the great work on.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

jkim wrote:It was meant to be a facetious comment so I'm glad it was interpreted correctly! No need to apologize... I was just surprised at the skill that you obviously have in depicting wear on that railroad piece. Something a bit unexpected and very good to see. It's awesome to see those skills. Just wanna see your artistic take on aircraft, that's all! :wink:
You know you cast a loooooooong shadow? I am excited to interpret this subject. I am. I just hope to achieve a fraction of your internal/external paint/weathering effects which are really masterful.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Bolleken wrote:Looks like a perfect fitting. Scratchi cockpit well done so far. Now it is crying for paint! Keep the great work on.
I will, Marius! I looked at the cockpit yesterday and today and almost painted it Bronze Green both times. Part of what stops me is whether I should redo the silver layer first to make things easier to weather. Part of me thinks just paint green then add the black and get moving again! What do you think?
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Bolleken
Master Member

Post by Bolleken »

speedgraflex wrote:
Bolleken wrote:Looks like a perfect fitting. Scratchi cockpit well done so far. Now it is crying for paint! Keep the great work on.
I will, Marius! I looked at the cockpit yesterday and today and almost painted it Bronze Green both times. Part of what stops me is whether I should redo the silver layer first to make things easier to weather. Part of me thinks just paint green then add the black and get moving again! What do you think?
I would add a new layer of silver in a different shade. Very thin. Then adding a layer of a warn effect medium followed by the green. BTW I am at a similar stage with the Wildcat.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”