Academy 1/72 Corsair F4U-1A, Tommy’s Big Hog, Ondongo, 1943.

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
speedgraflex

Re: Academy 1/72 Corsair F4U-1A, Tommy’s Big Hog, Ondongo, 1

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks, Clint. I am looking forward to polishing the cockpit and adding the color coat. The openings I drilled in the seat are still too crude for my taste. I may cut a styrene bar to cover the area. That is a maybe. I feel the seat belts from the USN Reheat Photo Etch set will hide most of what is to my eyes the crudeness. I prefer crisp detail which is why filler is usually my last resort. Also the black cinders on my fingers come from a pair of 14 foot logging cars I am painting for a Model Train Shop out here in California.

Reference:

First time for 3D parts painting, actually, and I like it so far.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That's looking good Bruce, as do those rail cars!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stuart!

Thank you so much for your reply. I hope all is well. I have been rebuilding my photography port, which is definitely a work in progress, fiddling with these logging disconnects which feature weathering effects and trying to move the cockpit forward. Well last night I was stumped. I really was. As hard as I tried I could not coax, cajole, con my iPhone to take a focused shot of the work I have done polishing the cockpit interior, so I will try again this afternoon when I come home to add the next color coat to these train parts. I think the next wave of model building will include a 3D printer on the bench for a lot of model builders. It is time for that to happen.

Ian Lawrence, Studio Scale Moonbus from 2001: A Space Odyssey, Landing Gear Leg and Foot with Pads

Those thoughts about 3D parts tie into my previous post about painting. I thought painting was going to be an issue. The client who makes the parts kept telling me to use at least 400 grit sandpaper to rough the plastic but to keep the details. I already scribed the planking on the deck as well as distressed the edges somewhat so I felt I was going in the right direction. However this was a bit of stepping into the unknown for me. I chose Black Gunze Primer. In my opinion the two Black Gundam/Gunze Primers I have used really bite into plastic. I gave the lower parts where the sun won’t shine the first passes and was very pleased.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Bruce, after finally getting some time to browse, I finally found and read this entire thread. It is a thrill to see you building again and I commend you on your incredible work. I'm sorry I can't help you much as you already do far more on your 1/72 scale models than I ever think of doing.

I do hope you are able to come to Valleycon on March 1st. As that is my birthday, it would really make my day to meet you. Besides, you'd have a blast looking at all the outstanding models on the tables. I am hoping to bring you your Hellcat so I can finally make the delivery.

I shall continue to follow this excellent thread!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Mark! Duke!

If I am free I will be there. Right now I am submitting myself for everything and anything that constitutes paid work, which is a scenario I am sure you have faced or face when construction jobs float in and out of range. I think everyone here is tired of me writing about my situation. True story: my Scottish Grandmother, on her deathbed at 93, asked me, “Did you find a job?” Honestly I was floored by her question but it was also one I expect to answer from family members all of the time. It was only my Uncle Carl who said, “Don’t listen to anyone, what they say is bull***t anyway.” Hey with a man has lived long as he has and done sowed their oats, a little perspective is present. That and no bull***t.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Midnight carving. Good plastic for this.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Wishing you continued good fortune in your job searching Bruce.

That cockpit is coming along nicely!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

portman wrote:Wishing you continued good fortune in your job searching Bruce.

That cockpit is coming along nicely!
That'll make another added in on the good fortune with your job search Bruce.

This is looking great so far man.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thank you, gentlemen. I truly appreciate your friendship and encouragement. These are the interesting times for us all! Tonight’s task will be the “thing in I highlighted in red with the linkage rods,” obviously an important part of the controls and visible due to its size and prominence inside. Edit: think this is #4 (first and second photo are from the F4U Pilot’s Manual. The third photo is from the XF Series.) which is the “Engine Control Unit.”

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I, too, echo the well wishes on your search for legal, gainful employment. You can do it!

This is pretty cool. Tend to forget it is 1/72 and not a larger scale.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”