Academy 1/72 Corsair F4U-1A, Tommy’s Big Hog, Ondongo, 1943.

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
speedgraflex

Re: Academy 1/72 Corsair F4U-1A, Tommy’s Big Hog, Ondongo, 1

Post by speedgraflex »

I need to add this here as this project runs concurrently with the Dark Corsair. The scale is 1/48. One of my choices was to show an extremely well-used logging disconnect; I spent most of the time prepping the look of the deck, cutting the individual planks and making the ends uneven from heavy hits. That’s one area of a modular design that needs to addressed. I still have cleanup to do but the look is on target. Since this is one of a pair I am thinking a mismatched pair, one red and one brown. Duke, at this point I will see what I need to do to cover expenses, but if I cover those next week you will be seeing me.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Woah....
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Why do I keep hearing the opening song from Blazing Saddles in my mind looking at those rail cars? :hmm:

In any case, those look superb Bruce!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Tom! Thank you so much for your reply!

Carlos, thank you for your reply as well. I hesitated shoving in the non-Spam centric pieces but always wind up doing so anyway! I was going to add that at least for me, getting the texture of the wood and the form of the planks right was really the work. The more I come to learn where my allegiances lie—it’s what lies beneath the paint that truly matters or at least that is my personal fixation.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Bruce, simply exquisite work!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

LyleW wrote:Bruce, simply exquisite work!
:P1:

SPAM centric or not, that is beautiful modeling skill and results. I think where this site really rocks is that we do not limit it to this or that subject or scale and Pooh Pooh those who partake in such areas. It’s modeling dammit, where skills and techniques cross from one genre to another quite easily.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Stikpusher wrote:
LyleW wrote:Bruce, simply exquisite work!
:P1:

SPAM centric or not, that is beautiful modeling skill and results. I think where this site really rocks is that we do not limit it to this or that subject or scale and Pooh Pooh those who partake in such areas. It’s modeling dammit, where skills and techniques cross from one genre to another quite easily.
What he said! if you share it here, we claim it as ours, too.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks, gents. Sincerely. I was going to at the same time paint the Corsair’s cockpit bronze green but I stopped myself to focus on this. I wanted to have this disconnect on lock down... and when I finished the color coats I was relieved to see that all the prepping of those planks was worth it, and black basing was worth it in this case as well. I feel that using black primer has been appropriated from trains anyway which means it is a far older idea; black primer is just a technique for creating depth like anything and everything else, really. I do find myself always pushing aside more complex painting solutions all the time. That’s on me. The way I’m geared. Ultimately I’m after the simplest complex solution possible, if that makes sense.

We spend or at least I spend so much time thinking about how to achieve Color X with weathering D and E... I know I do. Bronze Green, Dull Dark Green... That’s the next step for the Dark Corsair.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

As Carlos said, it's modeling and I for one want to try and replicate that woodwork. It is amazingly realistic and stunning in it's appearance. I have a Leopold rail gun with wooden decking that I'd love to make look like that.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Duke Maddog wrote:As Carlos said, it's modeling and I for one want to try and replicate that woodwork. It is amazingly realistic and stunning in it's appearance. I have a Leopold rail gun with wooden decking that I'd love to make look like that.
Now no German artilleryman would ever allow his gun decking to get so beat up... :ballbat:
Worn yes...

FLSM

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”