1/72 Academy B-17F Memphis Belle

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jkim
Elite Member

Re: 1/72 Academy B-17F Memphis Belle

Post by jkim »

I hope you recover from the crappy decal incident. I do like that box art though.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I had a a few bottles of Vallejo for hand brushing. However, one color I will use exclusively for D-Day stripes on WW2 aircrafts - Vallejo Off White. When I do D-Day stripes, I’ll pencil mark where the stripes go and the widths of each stripe. Then... I hand paint them. I don’t paint them in sharp straight lines because they were hand painted on. None were painted perfectly straight anyway.

I am interested in seeing how it all comes together and take note of any fit issues you come across.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Floki wrote:Vallejo paints are a dream to brush paint with but a absolute nightmare to airbrush at least for me. You have to have a pretty big needle size for one or the stuff will keep clogging. Even the model air line made for airbrush is a no go for me.
That was my problem. No matter the air pressure, paint/thinner ratio or anything it would dry in the airbrush and clog it up. What paint did get to the model was thick and rubbery. I don't have that problem with any other acrylic or lacquer paint that I use (Ammo, AK, MMA, Hataka, Tamiya).
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

All the more reasons why I hate Vallejo. It gives off a vinyl-ly rubbery feel; even dry.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

I started messing around with the kit. The left hand gunners window is open but you have to open the right one yourself. There's two windows on the right hand side though. Which one to use? Pics online show me that it's the same one as the right side. But I always thought it was staggered. :hmm:

Mike

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

You're both right...

They went from side by side...

To staggered on later marks. Apologies though I don't know what mark that was. edit: it was the G model - see next post.

Last edited by Stuart on Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Actually it was the G model that introduced the staggered waist gun positions along with the Chin turret...

Taken from the AirVectors site... http://www.airvectors.net/avb17_2.html

''* These good ideas appeared in the next and definitive version of the Fortress, the "B-17G". The B-17G was basically a B-17F with the Bendix chin turret and the staggered waist gun windows. Eventually, these waist gun windows would be enclosed by Plexiglas panels. Incidentally, it appears a few very late-production Douglas-built B-17Fs also had the chin turret, though it is unclear if they had the staggered gun positions as well.

Other changes were implemented as B-17Gs rolled off the production lines. The useless upward-firing gun in the radio room was deleted. A new tail gun position was designed, featuring power-boosted guns featuring a greater range of traverse; a better reflector gunsight replacing the previous ring-and-bead sight; and a larger space for the gunner, with bigger windows, that offered improved visibility and extended back from the tailfin. This new gun position was called the "Cheyenne Tail", since it was designed by the United Air Lines field modification center at Cheyenne, Wyoming. It was retrofitted to many earlier B-17s at field modification centers.''

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Perfect! Thanks for the info Stuart!
Mike

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Hey no worries - it was an interesting read!

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Final production blocks of the F introduced the chin turret. A late production F would have the F type longer nose cone and open waist gunner positions. The G would introduce the enclosed waist gunner windows that had the gun mounts, as well as the new shorter nose cone. Midway thru the G production the staggered waist windows were introduced.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”