Barracuda Roy’s Lockdown 2020 | Heller | No. 80229

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jkim
Elite Member

Re: Barracuda Roy’s Lockdown 2020 | Heller | No. 80229

Post by jkim »

Hi Bruce,

Regarding the markings on the tail fin... you may have stumbled on a pattern that I was not aware of. So I've looked over a bunch of K-4 photos and lo and behold... there are a number of machines that have light colored markings on the tail fin, most notable around the vertical joint between the rudder and tail fin.

There are just as many examples of machines with no such markings. Lacking any other information besides a catalogue of photos, it's my belief that this was a common area of failure and that repairs were sealed with putty/paint. Not a standardized thing but simply an as-needed repair than many K-4's were afflicted with. I would base my painting on the photo references of 265 first and foremost and use the other examples for any speculative choices in areas which the photos of 265 don't show. As for color, I'm not sure but I've heard these puttied areas to be described as a reddish brown, light grey or light blue (such RLM 76).

I hope that helps!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Gents, thanks for your encouragement and support and thank you, John for your thoughts, visuals and clarity. I spent the day working on an illustration project, deliberately keeping away from work on this, with two key exceptions: I ordered decals, and I ordered Aires resin wheels. The decals are the ones I posted earlier so it is a lead pipe cinch that these will work; and I obviously need spares, anyway, so that will help me, and I also added the Aires resin detail parts because the wheels are an area that ought to be improved.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Sounds like a good plan Bruce!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

It’s always good to have spare decals on hand. You never know when you’re going to need them.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Those Eagle editions decals should do the trick. They bypass any possible mis-registration issue by separating the white portion of the decal from the black. I don't like the thickness of two decal layers but it is pretty smooth on that tail fin so it shouldn't be a problem.

I've always like the K-4 Black 15...
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Everything is looking great Bruce! I love your paint work.

I could possibly have supplied you with adequate decals for the swastikas but I got back to this thread too late. Also, I'm wondering about those wheels; you could've saved yourself a bit of cash. After all, you did say you were going to build this OOB at the beginning, but hey, this is your build. Don't mind me. I'm just thrilled to be following along with this and watching it all come together. This even looks better than anything I've done on any Me-109's.

Bring it home Bruce! This thread is so exciting!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks, gents. Sincerely. I was so set on finishing by Sunday but I checked the oils I am using and even with an acrylic hardener things are still in a delicate state. Not to worry though. Come Monday I intend to UV Superflat Clear every painted surface, then I am going to flip her over to weather the metal plates.

Mark, I follow your painting techniques so closely, because your work is always fine tuned to the scale itself. A year of watching you work is its own master class. What I realized is how far I need to go and practice to gain the confidence that you have. Ditto others here as well. Modelcrazy, Brent, Carlos, John, Torben, Marius, Stuart, Tom, Mike, Clint!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Moderating Droid Mostrich, let me know if not appropriate to display.
Bruce, please, all the members in here are well educated in history. No need to even think about that.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

mostrich wrote:Bruce, please, all the members in here are well educated in history. No need to even think about that.
what the Droid said!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

:lashed:
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”