MiG-23ML Flogger G - Trumpeter 1/48

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: MiG-23ML Flogger G - Trumpeter 1/48

Post by Duke Maddog »

I wonder; would any of that space around the cockpit be seen when the canopy is on? That could save you some filling and sanding if it can't be seen.

Great job so far despite the issues. You've got this.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Damn that mold seam is bad! You're doing a great job fixing all the issues. :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Norman
Advanced Member

Post by Norman »

Duke Maddog wrote:I wonder; would any of that space around the cockpit be seen when the canopy is on? That could save you some filling and sanding if it can't be seen.

Great job so far despite the issues. You've got this.
The canopy should be open on the MiG-23, so I have to fill it up and painted with cockpit green.

Painting the inner of the air intakes. Primed with AK black base, after drying sprayed with AK polished aluminium and the air flaps painted in bright green.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Those intakes sure do bear a strong resemblance to those on the F-4 Phantom.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Norman
Advanced Member

Post by Norman »

Sorry, I'm late with my update.

The APU-470 pylon was pre fitted to the underside of the wingroot.

The parts for the position lights were unfortunately not flush, here I had to fill with putty and try to create a transition

Plastic card tool to align the parts for gluing and holding in place.

Fuselage and wing section ready to glue.

H/V Stabiliser and Air Intakes for testfit are in place, the MiG will need a lot of filler for future work

Happy filling and sandig.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Nice progress there Norman! Looks like you have some serious clean up work ahead.

Which kid of leads me to a related point. These new tool “superior” kits are quite expensive. One should not have to do all that clean up work and additional reinforcing, modifications, etc. to such a kit. Out of the box, the basic assembly should be correct without fit and alignment issues. An old ESCI kit, fine. But come on Trumpeter... :headbang:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Carlos is right. We are paying good money for these "superior" kits for these types of fit issues to be happening.

That being said, you're doing excellent work on this Norman.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Stikpusher wrote:Nice progress there Norman! Looks like you have some serious clean up work ahead.

Which kid of leads me to a related point. These new tool “superior” kits are quite expensive. One should not have to do all that clean up work and additional reinforcing, modifications, etc. to such a kit. Out of the box, the basic assembly should be correct without fit and alignment issues. An old ESCI kit, fine. But come on Trumpeter... :headbang:
I was just thinking the same thing. That's a lot of issues to work through for a newer kit.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”