1/32 Hasegawa Bf109G-14 Hartmann

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Stikpusher

Re: 1/32 Hasegawa Bf109G-14 Hartmann

Post by Stikpusher »

This is progressing beautifully!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Sorry, John. I love a good mystery. I was happy to see you used Testors glue. Just to finish on my end, I tried to ID the model based on the four sprue panels. The white color is definitely a “space” subject color. I could not match the instruction illustrations to the Saturn V ones. I won’t bore you any further, I promise. Cheers.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

The oil cooler blended in perfectly and the primer does look very smooth.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

speedgraflex wrote:Sorry, John. I love a good mystery. I was happy to see you used Testors glue. Just to finish on my end, I tried to ID the model based on the four sprue panels. The white color is definitely a “space” subject color. I could not match the instruction illustrations to the Saturn V ones. I won’t bore you any further, I promise. Cheers.
Now that I really think about it... I may not have built that Saturn V model. I associate that model with the apartment in Falls Church and maybe I was too young to build it and my dad did it? The photo is from our house in Sterling, VA. Could it have been a ship model? I remember building a Revell USS Arizona at some point. It would definitely be cool to pinpoint, if possible, which kit I actually had in front of me in the photo. And yes, Testors tube glue was the only game in town. It still has it's uses (I still have a tube) but the liquid cement has really improved the way a model can be put together... no more stringy messes!

Some of the last cockpit bits have been put into place in advance of the clear parts including the rod that goes across the rear sill (I had to trim both ends so that the canopy sits flush), the UV lights and the Revi gun sight.

John aka JKim
-----------<><
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Battleships are usually grey sprues. Someone can correct me but I built the Titanic (passenger ship not battleship of course as far as I know) and that was an all white kit but I do not think that would be the subject. Jets are grey or silver (older tooling). WWII are color coded basically by aircraft with blues, greens, and greys. I am thinking space subject like this one:

All white plastic kit... this is where my detective work stopped. *Also the box is a top loader and thr Saturn V has a four foot tall display box, that has a handle. This looks closer:

How are you prepping your plastic??? It looks phenomenal! Polished?

Also if that is Jerry Crandall’s cockpit resin, send him a photo! This level of fidelity is outstanding and he should see it.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Actually... I vaguely do recall a Lunar Lander kit around that time. That actually could be it, although I don’t recognize the box art.

As for the treatment of plastic... after riveting, the surface is wet sanded with fine sandpaper and then micromeshed and buffed out with a cloth.

The cockpit is Vincent K’s past work at MDC and he’s been following this build. He’s offered some good tips like which sidewalls to use and how to properly mount the gunsight.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I don’t think it’s the Lunar Landing kit at all. One of the parts on the sprue tree is long in length.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

I guess the mystery continues! :hmm:

If I was home in Hawaii, I could go through my parents' photo collection to see if there were any other shots taken at the same time. I'll have to remember to do that the next time I visit!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

I'm gonna go back to my original guess of a 1/32 Revell WW2 aircraft. It could very well be my first Dora build. The size of the sprues and the box behind me look about right for a 1/32 scale aircraft. I remember distinctly that the 190D-9 kit as well as the K-61 were molded in very light grey plastic. Almost white. I dug around the internet and found a few interesting photos. Here is the 190D kit.. note the color of the plastic.

Another interesting clue is the instruction sheet from 190D kit. Note the format of the instructions... two steps per page with a black header and arrow for each step.

Now look at the instructions in front of me. Not legible but you can make out the format, which seems similar to the 190D instructions including the black header and arrow for each step. Not an exact match but getting closer, right?
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That does look like a pilot seat assembly sitting on the instruction sheet, along the lower edge. :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”