1/32 Hasegawa Bf109G-14 Hartmann

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jkim
Elite Member

Re: 1/32 Hasegawa Bf109G-14 Hartmann

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! I've dealt with paint issues enough that I'm getting good at addressing it. :wink: The white layer is fairly thin so I'm not getting as much raised edge with the paint lift, which makes the repairs easier.
jeaton01 wrote:John, I say great recovery too. I quit using Oramask almost entirely, just using it once in a while for non critical things. Tamiya makes sheets of their masking tape and I cut that in my vinyl cutter, also a Cameo. The Tamiya part number is 87130**500. Each pack has 5 sheets of 7 X 9.5. Oramask shrinks over time, the adhesive is not near as good as the Tamiya product, and I also had a reaction with a clear coat that put me nearly back to step one on a wing. Grrr. Mostly use it for R/C stuff now.
I'm sorry to hear about your issues with Oramask. I love the stuff and have had excellent results using Oramask 810. For me, it is close to the perfect masking material in terms of adhesion, flexibility, translucence and smoothness of cuts. Yes, the material can shrink over time but that's a non-issue since I have total control over when I cut masks in relation to when I use them. I also have the sheets of Tamiya yellow masking material, which I use for certain things when I don't require the translucence of the Oramask for placement. But even then, I usually end up using the Oramask. I love the flexibility that the Silhouette Portrait has given me in terms of aircraft markings.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Now that I've passed the paint struggles, I suddenly realize that I'm approaching the end of this build. The control surfaces have been glued into place.

The exhausts are installed.

Time for a flat coat! This is always a fun stage since it will tie in all of the paint, markings, decals and weathering into a (hopefully) cohesive whole.

The Strategic Ordnance Works landing gear is attached and the model is up on its own legs.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Another stunning piece! Looking very good.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

You're almost done with this! I'm excited to see the canopy masks come off hopefully with no paint lifting.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks Lyle and thanks Clint!
Floki wrote:You're almost done with this! I'm excited to see the canopy masks come off hopefully with no paint lifting.
I think I'm in good shape there because... there is no paint under the canopy masks right? :grin:
John aka JKim
-----------<><
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Amazing build! Almost to the finish line.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

jkim wrote:Thanks Lyle and thanks Clint!
Floki wrote:You're almost done with this! I'm excited to see the canopy masks come off hopefully with no paint lifting.
I think I'm in good shape there because... there is no paint under the canopy masks right? :grin:
I would hope not! :giggles:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Working on a few details prior to crossing the finish line with this G-14 build. The Barracuda resin prop blades have been mounted onto the spinner using Barracuda's jig (which is sold separately from the spinner kit). I've added some staining to the spinner.

This aircraft did not have an antenna mast so I fashioned a small attachment point and glued it on the fuselage right behind the canopy.

Based on this photo of Hartmann's machine.

The spinner is a push-fit onto the fuselage and will be removable.

Only a few more things on the checklist before she's finished: drop tank, pitot tube, whip antenna, IFF antenna, gun barrels, wing tip lights, aileron balancers and removing the canopy masks.

Perhaps one more short update before I post the glamour shots on the Completed board.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Incredible work! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thank you!

The last bits are being added like all of the antennae and the wing tip lights...

The canopy masks have been pulled off. Always a little bit of suspense with this step although I've always had great experiences with the Eduard masks.
John aka JKim
-----------<><

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”