Modelsvit 1/48 Bf 109 D-1.

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Modelsvit 1/48 Bf 109 D-1.

Post by Duke Maddog »

Looking good Bruce! K am also building a Modelsvit kit, although it is significantly larger than that. Check fit of all pieces since ; even though they look great in pics as mine does, they have many issues as a short run kit would.

I'll be watching this one. I also popped some more popcorn so anyone needing some, feel free....

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Right, so whilst an early bf109 is all very interesting (and I do feel the need to build an early Hurricane to counter it :-D), what's this about you drawing a graphic novel? That's majorly cool! Is that something you do regularly or is it something you're having a go at?
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Duke Maddog wrote:Looking good Bruce! I am also building a Modelsvit kit, although it is significantly larger than that. Check fit of all pieces since ; even though they look great in pics as mine does, they have many issues as a short run kit would.
Mark! Thank you, sir. I am still in the honeymoon period with the kit, but I am looking forward to cutting the parts out. I have things left to finish on the Heller Kit but I’m getting ready to cut, yes, I am.
Stuart wrote:Right, so whilst an early bf109 is all very interesting (and I do feel the need to build an early Hurricane to counter it :-D), what's this about you drawing a graphic novel? That's majorly cool! Is that something you do regularly or is it something you're having a go at?
Working from home on two projects; and a lot depends on cash flow from those involved. I can tell you despite the NDA that what I am drawing is intended for publication, however the comics industry is going through a distribution shutdown and I have no idea when this will see the shelves. The other details I can slip past the NDA would be that this particular project is very much a weapons oriented project which is a central challenge. Each character has some form of training, and degree of familiarity with modern weapons. There is also a cool factor by the writer that I am trying to honor but not get in the way of a realistic approach. Plus, there is the complexity of the storyline and amount of characters floating in and out of the story. I recognize it is rather annoying not to talk about the IP in a direct way, but I have to avoid jeopardizing my stake. So far I am drawing two guns per character. Cars are the next challenge. Doing my best. I started this on the 13th. It was time for a check in to see if I was doing okay.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Re: Modelsvit 1/48 Bf109 D-1.

Post by Stikpusher »

mostrich wrote:
speedgraflex wrote: I think though: Bayrische Flugzeugwerke must be BF and not Bf, although I have seen both in publications.
If you want to create something, be sensitive. Right so, Bruce!

The official German nomenclatura for military airplanes was a two letter abbreviation of the manufacturer's name followed by a blank and then the product no. First letter was capitalized like a noun should (e.g. Me, Si, Ju, Ar, Do...). When this nomenclatura came official Willy Messerschmitt already had transformed his Bayerische Flugzeugwerke AG into the Messerschmitt AG. Since the 109 was designed before that, it was called Bf to firstly to avoid calling it Ba - a sound in Germany made by people out of disgust - and secondly with a small 'f' just out of good ol' Prussian bureaucracy. It had to fit the rest. -Jawohl! :headslap:
Following those guidelines, I presume that it was a modification of such as to how Bolhm & Voss became BV and Focke Wulf FW for their designation prefix?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Focke-Wulf always was abbreviated by Fw. See one of the original build specifications:
https://www.deutscheluftwaffe.com/archi ... 90_A_8.pdf

But you're right about the BV, though. They started as Hamburger Flugzeugbau and so their first designs were named Ha XXX. But than later for some reason renamed to BV. Maybe the CEOs were free to choose the lettering? Or somebody simply messed it up. I mean, they normally build ships...
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

speedgraflex wrote:Working from home on two projects; and a lot depends on cash flow from those involved. I can tell you despite the NDA that what I am drawing is intended for publication, however the comics industry is going through a distribution shutdown and I have no idea when this will see the shelves. The other details I can slip past the NDA would be that this particular project is very much a weapons oriented project which is a central challenge. Each character has some form of training, and degree of familiarity with modern weapons. There is also a cool factor by the writer that I am trying to honor but not get in the way of a realistic approach. Plus, there is the complexity of the storyline and amount of characters floating in and out of the story. I recognize it is rather annoying not to talk about the IP in a direct way, but I have to avoid jeopardizing my stake. So far I am drawing two guns per character. Cars are the next challenge. Doing my best. I started this on the 13th. It was time for a check in to see if I was doing okay.
Hi Bruce, Fully understand the limitations of the NDA and IP (My wife's done a bit of writing in the past) but thanks for sharing what you can - that sounds awesome and I hope it all comes to fruition. With your drawing skills I reckon that will be something to behold! Please do let us know when it hits the shelves and you can tell us some more. I'd like to try and pick up a copy.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

“Life is very much about rule breaking, about confrontation. Otherwise history would just stand still. Someone has to come along and break the rules and try for whatever reason to go about things a different way. Even if it is a simple sense of adventure, a sense of exploration. You explore concepts and things that interest you, but you are also exploring inside of yourself.”

Ed Paschke

- Ed was my art teacher and one of the biggest reasons why I yam what I yam. I found that quote from him to sum up how approach what I do, and I wanted to share this with everyone here but in particular with you, Stuart as I sense a direct kinship with your approach to model making. Cheers.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I am also intrigued by this graphic novel you're doing. Please keep us informed as to when it is published as I would like a copy. I'll even get a couple so I can have you sign one when we finally get to meet.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

mostrich wrote:Focke-Wulf always was abbreviated by Fw. See one of the original build specifications:
https://www.deutscheluftwaffe.com/archi ... 90_A_8.pdf

But you're right about the BV, though. They started as Hamburger Flugzeugbau and so their first designs were named Ha XXX. But than later for some reason renamed to BV. Maybe the CEOs were free to choose the lettering? Or somebody simply messed it up. I mean, they normally build ships...
Related question: Were the Ta 152 designs built by Focke Wulf or was it a whole new company? Or a name change for the company?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Kurt Tank was technical director and chief engineer at Focke-Wulf from 1933. His influence on the design and construction philosophy of the Fw 190 in all its varients was dominating. He had his hands on nearly every subsystem and detail of the aircraft. The renaming in Tank 152 was made in his honour and also for propagandistic reasons. Tank later became board member of Focke-Wulf.

He also designed the wonderful looking Fw 200 Condor. Still waiting for a civil variant in 1/48. :bored:
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”