1/32 Hasegawa Fw 190D-13 Yellow 10

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jkim
Elite Member

Re: 1/32 Hasegawa Fw 190D-13 Yellow 10

Post by jkim »

I can do two. When one requires drying/curing time, I can jump over to the other one. But with three, I find myself waffling and not sure of which one to work on. And since all three are Luftwaffe subjects, I don't want to get confused and make a G-14 error on my D-13 build. Since the D-13 is my newest build, I think its best to pause this one until I can get Tank finished.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

jkim wrote:I can do two. When one requires drying/curing time, I can jump over to the other one. But with three, I find myself waffling and not sure of which one to work on. And since all three are Luftwaffe subjects, I don't want to get confused and make a G-14 error on my D-13 build. Since the D-13 is my newest build, I think its best to pause this one until I can get Tank finished.
Good idea!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

With the stop-and-go work happening on the 262B build, I thought I'd dust off this one from the shelf. You can tell I haven't gotten very far since all of the parts still fit into the original box.

I had to review my build thread to determine where I stood on this build. As you may recall, having access to both the Real Model and Grey Matter (J. Rutman) Fw190D-13 conversions in hand, I decided to go another route and sculpt my own cowling bulges on the Hasegawa plastic based on photos and cross-section drawings found in Jerry Crandall's Dora Volume 2. I deviated from the Grey Matter rendition, which elected to graft a longitudinal bump along cowling hinge line, by feathering in the bottom edge of the bump completely and leaving only the top edge depression as the sole visual cue to the modifications. The major sculpt work has been finished and I've given the major engine cowling components a thin coat of Mr Primer Surfacer 1000 to help check the work done so far.

So here is what the nose area looks like right now with some of the major components taped into place. The top cowling will be Grey Matter resin part and the supercharger intake will be from the Real Model set (which I think is a cast of the Z-M Ta152H intake).

John aka JKim
-----------<><
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I have missed this build!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Similar views but photographed in the light box...

It's good to know that the build was left on a positive note and that the sculpting for the bulges came out relatively well. I think it has a more integrated appearance compared to the obviously grafted bulge featured on the Grey Matter resin fuselage.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I think I'm going to have to re-read through this thread John as I've lost track of which build this was!

It looks like you've come back to it with a good starting point though.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks Stuart! I'm pretty full-bore on my other build right now so it has been hard to squeeze in work on the D-13. The one thing I managed recently was to address the wood flaps that were used on this aircraft.

Compared to the kit flaps, the face of the wood flaps, as provided by Eagle Editions, is flat.

Eagle Editions provides a decal for the wood finish but I am not particularly liking this rendition.

Instead, I am planning to use a wood grain decal sheet by HGW.

These decals are transparent and, according to the instructions, you can vary the tone of the wood by varying the background color. I've used the Silhouette Portrait cutter to provide masks for the different panels. Since the decal film is so delicate and prone to damage, even when dry, I've reversed the masks so they can be applied to the back of the decal sheet. The masks serve as a cutting guide.

Using white as a base, the flaps are painted in different colors. Looking like the Partridge Family bus!

The decals are cut out and positioned one at a time, varying the orientation so the grain isn't going in a uniform direction. This is what the flaps look like after the HGW decals.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:hmm:

Looks like the Partridge family bus... that’s something I hadn’t thought of in ages...

But IT DOES!!! :wow:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

John you did a great job on the wood flaps I had to look up what a partridge family bus was and you are right lol
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

You kids don’t know what you missed... :giggles:

FLSM

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”