1/32 Hasegawa N1K2-J Shiden Kai

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
speedgraflex

Re: 1/32 Hasegawa N1K2-J Shiden Kai

Post by speedgraflex »

Apologies for being hors de combat, bud. That is tough to have to wait on supplies. You know best. My advice would be to run a few tests just in case the shipping delay continues. My perspective is usually to run with momentum and do crazy make ‘em ups along the way.

The PE detailing work you have completed to date is first rate. Are you priming the components first (I may have missed this in the narrative).
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! I wonder why Mr Hobby (Gunze Sangyo) paints are more readily available from US retailers. The bare bones tracking that comes with some of these orders really doesn't tell me much so. I just hate to order a specific color like Kawanishi Cockpit Green and then not use it because it is such a specific shade. I think I can jump over to other builds but some of those are also waiting for the rivet tool. I also have a couple of other unstarted projects like a Revell Me262 Nightfighter and a Tamiya Spitfire XVIe. :cool:

The PE stuff has not been primed. Usually that will occur after the construction stage but prior to the painting stage. Depending on what it is, it may not get primed at all.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Oh HELL yeah!!! I LOVE these aircraft. Very tough aircraft with ALOT of firepower. Gonna be going back and reading through this thread.
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Guess what came in the mail yesterday! I was plowing ahead with work on the engines since the missing paints are necessary.

Actual color of the paint is very different from the Tamiya Khaki... it's more of a chromate green.

I've prepared the engine to accommodate some wiring.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Engine looking good. I like the idea of the small brass tubing to hold the wire.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

This is gonna be one heckuva show right here!!! Watching.....
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Floki wrote:Engine looking good. I like the idea of the small brass tubing to hold the wire.
It's a bit overscale but I have had trouble securing wiring to engines before so I wanted to establish a positive connection as much as I could.

When it rains, it pours... the day after I got my Mr Hobby N1K2 paints, I FINALLY received my new rivet tools...

Up until now, I've been using the RB Productions Rivet-R and Rivet-R Mini. They've lost a bit of their sharpness but when I looked to find replacement wheels, I couldn't find any stock. At the same time, I had seen a positive review of these new tools at The Modelling News website and thought I'd give them a try.

There three types of tools... (1) the standard wheel which is about the same size as the Rivet-R, (2) a smaller radius wheel equivalent to the Rivet-R mini, and (3) a corner tool to allow you to place rivets in tight spaces or next to a raised wall. They offer these tools in two sets of rivet spacing. I chose the smaller group, which offers rivet spacing at 0.55, 0.65 and 0.75mm. One nice thing about these tools is that each wheel comes with its own mount. The RB Riveter sells its mount separately and having just one, I would have to take the thing apart each time I wanted to use a different rivet spacing. Now, I don't have to do that.

Another thing that I didn't like about the RB tool is that the Rivet-R and Rivet-R Mini rivet spacing don't match. There is often a need to run the rivet wheel over existing rivets to clear up plugging by paint or sanding dust. But since the 0.75mm Rivet-R doesn't match the 0.75mm Rivet-R Mini, you can mess up a set of rivets pretty easily if you don't remember which tool made which line of rivets.

We'll see how the new riveting tool performs a little later!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Conducted a few tests today. First was figuring out if the Mr Hobby lacquer colors that I purchased for the Shiden Kai would allow hairspray chipping. On my paint mule, I sprayed a base coat of Tamiya AS-12 Silver. Over the tail, put on a layer of MIG Scratches Effects liquid and forward of that I sprayed MIG Heavy Chipping Effects. Once those dried, I sprayed the tail with the Mr Hobby Kawanishi Cockpit color and then the Mr Hobby Kawanishi Dark Green forward of that. Just to compare the different greens that I had on hand, I also sprayed Mr Hobby Aqueous H-59 IJN Gloss Green and Tamiya XF-11 IJN Green.

Using a stiff paint brush dipped in water, I was able to created chips on the Mr Hobby lacquer colors fairly easily. But I didn't quite like the way the Mr Hobby Dark Green sprayed. For one, it was dead flat, which I'd prefer not to deal with over the whole aircraft. Someone also question the accuracy of this particular color. I'm no expert and doing some internet research and finding some articles on Shiden Kai colors by Nick Millman didn't clarify matters conclusively. So... I'm decided on which green I'll be using to paint the exterior of the aircraft. But at least I can move forward on the painting of the cockpit.

I conducted another test with the Galaxy Tools riveter. Compared it with the RB Productions Rivet-R and Rivet-R Mini, all of the tools set at 0.75mm spacing.

Ignoring the crookedness of the lines, all of the rivets looked about the same, which is a good thing. From top to bottom are: Galaxy Standard, Galaxy Mini, Rivet-R and Rivet-R Mini. I also confirmed that the Galaxy Standard and Mini wheels in the 0.75 spacing are exact matches. I can re-trace the rivet line I made with the Galaxy Mini with the Galaxy Standard and riveter will put the points exactly in the rivet holes along the entire length of the line. The Rivet-R and Rivet-R Mini aren't exact matches. By carefully placing a point on the Rivet-R wheel into the hole made by the Rivet-R Mini and running it along the rivet line, you are making new holes by the time you get to the halfway point. Seems like a minor point but having exact matches eliminates at least one of the headaches I've been experiencing when riveting.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Just to throw another one in there for your consideration... according to J Planes, Humbrol HU-3, Brunswick Green is supposed to be a good match for Kawanishi Green. It’s a gloss color and comes in both their enamel and acrylic paint lines.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

The new rivet tools look very well made.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”