1/32 Hasegawa N1K2-J Shiden Kai

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
keavdog
Elite Member

Re: 1/32 Hasegawa N1K2-J Shiden Kai

Post by keavdog »

Nice work! Those wheel wells look fantastic.
Friend of mine has been having some pretty good luck surf fishing and out on OB pier.
Thanks,
John
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Glad you're back in action here John. :shoutout: I hear you on the side distractions. If it aint work it's me getting our sons truck ready for the road. This weekend's task will be replacing all of the front braking components and ALOT of the suspension. I do want to go fishing though and there's plenty of places to do that here in the Coastal Bend.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Wow, even being away, you are doing more than I am! Great progress and beautiful work on the wings and wheel wells.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! I fished a small private pond this past Friday to satisfy the fishing urge.

I am inching along on this build. The small window on the fuselage was glued into place after I placed some rivets on the clear piece.

It took two tries to get the hairspray chipping on the prop blades right. I wanted very subtle chipping, mainly on the leading edge of the blades.

I also did some hairspray chipping on the spinner and backplate. This was a bit of small test to see what could possibly done on the main fuselage. As for the dark green color, I decided NOT to use the Mr Hobby Kawanishi Green that I specifically ordered for this build. Instead, for the spinner, I used a mixture of two AK Real Color shades: IJN D2 Green Black (RC305) and Luftwaffe RLM 83 Blue (RC327) mixed at a 3:1 ratio.

The prop components were also treated to a round of salt fading

Here is the completed prop mounted on the engine, posed in my light box. The salt fading, if desired, can be dialed back after application by gently rubbing micromesh on it.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

The prop and spinner are outstanding! I'm going to try salt fading for the first time on the Dora prop but first I'm going to experiment on a unused prop from the spares bin. Also noticed you said RLM 83 blue I just ran into that when I opened my new jar of AK Real Colors and was expecting dark green. I've tried to understand that but for now will just continue on believing that RLM 83 is Green untill proven otherwise.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Ya see.....this is another area where I need to improve. I've chipped my props and spinners in the past but they sure don't come out like this. I'm going to have to do some searching for a video on this salt chipping method. Man that looks great.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Put a frame around this! It is a piece of art, to be sure.

I still would love to see videos of these builds and painting.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

That’s beautiful work on that engine Jon. Very nice!
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Hey guys! It's been a while since I've posted so I wanted to pop in and say hello. No modeling update though. Summer/fall is usually fishing time for me and when I'm not fishing, I'm thinking about fishing or tinkering with fishing stuff. I've been getting my gear ready for a 3-day offshore trip coming up in October and also doing some reel tune-ups for friends. Right now I'm in the middle of a tuning upgrade for a Shimano Calcutta 400. Due to corrosion, a fused bearing needed to be removed (hence the hammer). Once this one's done, I should be able to clean off the desktop of fishing stuff and get back to modeling.

Thanks for comments on the Shiden Kai build. I promise to jump back on it soon. Most realistically after the October trip but maybe sooner.

I hope everyone is well! It's good see some new builds going and the return of some old faces.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Looking forward to some fish pictures! Hammers are so useful!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”