1/32 Hasegawa N1K2-J Shiden Kai

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jkim
Elite Member

Re: 1/32 Hasegawa N1K2-J Shiden Kai

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! The riveting work is almost done. Just the upper wings left to do. I've been using the drawings in the Aero Detail book as my riveting guide and luckily, they are scaled at 1/48. So it was a pretty easy thing to scan and print them to 1/32 scale. Which makes copying the rivet lines onto the model a little bit easier.

After the lines have been drawn in pencil...

After the rivets have been applied and the pencil lines cleaned off...

And finally the wings after they've been sanded and a given a brown pastel wash.

Another round of dry-fitting to check the overall appearance of the rivet job. By now, I've scrubbed the pastel wash off of the fuselage so those rivets aren't going to show up well in photos until the end.

I've chosen to depict the combat flaps in the down position although they were only engaged in flight. Let's assume that they could be lowered on the ground for maintenance. Also note that the rivets aren't visible at this distance. Which is indicative of the subtlety that I like about the rivets that you can get with a riveting wheel.

I added some wiring to the wheel wells. The other metal bits you see are from the Brengun PE set. Taking a page from my Corsair build, I figured out that I could glue the wheel wells to the wing spar without gluing these into the wing. This made the wiring work a little easier.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Dedication, with a nice result.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

All I can say here is that all of this is going to add up when it's all said and done into one beautiful masterpiece of a build. You're taking it to a whole different level of modeling. Wow!!
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

:P1: :bow:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

:bow:
:P1: :P1:
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

It's been a long time since my last update. I'm still around but as usual, during the summer months my mind/attention starts drifting towards fishing. My favorite lake is closed to boat fishing due to the pandemic so I'm not actually out fishing as much as I'd like but I'm still doing the beach fishing thing, playing around with my tackle and doing solo trips to a small private pond.

The wheel wells for the Shiden Kai have been painted and glued into place. Prior to this, I took the trouble of scrubbing the wings to try and remove as much of the wash and sanding dust from the panel lines and rivet lines.

And then I glued the upper wings onto the bottom wing half. I'll spend some time cleaning up the joints, especially around the cannon fairings before I glue the wings onto the fuselage.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Now that don't make much since. To me it would be safer isolated out on a boat rather then on the bank where anyone could just walk up to you.

Looks like you got some good progress done.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I was wondering about this project and where you’ve been on it. Good to see this latest progress update. The wheel wells look great! :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

You consider 10 days as a long time? Man, I'm happy if I can pull out an update per month!
As always great progress, John!
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very nice!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”